Thursday, August 27, 2009

Swimming Lessons

Through the summer I have had my older kids enrolled in swimming. I realized when my 11 year-old couldn't swim and would be expected to in scouts, it was time to let go of my maternal fear inside and let them do it. They all started out at level 1. Ryan and Aaron are level 4 swimmers and Grace is at 3b.

It was a test for me to sit and watch my kids learn to swim! I was never afraid of the water, but once I had children a sense of panic struck me anytime my kids stepped near water! (it happens with so many other things too, what is this crazy thing? I would really like to know) Watching them tread water and go off the diving board were torture for me. I was shaking the first time and had to turn away. The next time I told myself I was being ridiculous and forced myself to calm down and watch.

Grace struggled in 3a. The fear of going in 12ft really stopped her progression. They had the sweetest teacher and he worked and worked with her. He even gave her a couple of private lessons free of charge to help out. She finally did get in the deep water! We were so proud of her! The boys were naturals! Ryan still has a hard time kicking, but Aaron is a fish.

We are done until next summer! We do have a rec membership, so they will get lots of practice all year long in the indoor pools. Yeah for me to have to get in a swimming suit in the winter! (can you sense my sarcasm?)



2 comments:

Audrey Taylor said...

Fear is so perilizing! Look at all of the accomplishments your children made, and you too :)

ChicChat said...

I wish we had kept going this summer. My kids think they can swim, but its their confidence that scares me. I hope to get a membership soon so we can take the kids together...then we can get in swimming suits together. Yikes! (I mean that for me, Not you.);)