Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Summer: Here and Now Gone (for Us Anyway)

One of the cons of having year-round school is the short summer breaks. Don't get me wrong I absolutely L.O.V.E them, but I feel like they never got a true break from school.

I planned to do LOTS of fun things during their time off, and we did, but not as much as I wanted. We spent the time mostly going swimming. I decided this year to forget how I looked in a swimming suit and just enjoy time with my kids. I got a membership for our rec center and we spent a lot of days at the pool. And on the bright side, I did get a pretty good tan, even my legs are dark again! Almost as dark as they were in Vegas! Impressed? Me too!

I attempted some projects, but all they wanted to do was play with each other. Rather than hearing them complain the whole time, I decided to let them play. We did manage to get half a paper mache project done. And they invented their own game. Oh well.

Last week my kids started back to school. Ryan is now in 6Th grade, Aaron is in 4Th, Grace in 2ND, and my little Kate started kindergarten! I can't believe it! I have Becca home during the afternoon. She is not alone, I have started watching Dustin's sister's kids, Malori and Noah. She enjoys the company. I enjoy it because it keeps her entertained.

We were put on one of the worst tracks this year. Boo! I have begun to feel it is a blessing in disguise, however. My kids have really good teachers. We came back to our neighborhood school for Ryan. He will not continue on in the ALPS program because Jr. high is in River ton. There is no way I will be able to transport him everyday! We came back a year early so he could make friends before Jr. high. The teacher that he has, he LOVES! He is preparing them well for next year. He also has kids in his class that will also be in the accelerated classes next year. A true blessing for him. It is a big change though. He is having a hard time concentrating because kids choose to goof off and swear. I told him he needs to learn to work inspite of it. There will be those type of people the rest of his life. A good life learning opportunity for him!

I'm excited for the new adventures that await my kids this year. It seemed to be a rough start, especially getting the track that was my last choice, but we all decided to change our attitudes and look for the positive. You can't always have it your way, unless you're at Burger King. Change is always good!








3 comments:

Kristin said...

Good teachers are definitely a HUGE blessing! Sounds like you had a fun summer. :)

Taryn said...

Wow- The kids are growing up so fast! Cute pictures of them!!
I'm glad to hear that they like their teachers!

ChicChat said...

That picture of Grace is so pretty. Its crazy how grown up they all look...even Kate looks older. (Sad) I want life to just pause for a little bit so I can enjoy my kids.