Tuesday, December 13, 2011

A New Calling and Family Memories

The busyness of last week is still fresh in my mind and I don't want to forget any of it.

On the 4th we were called into our Stake President's office. Dustin was extended a new calling. We were both shocked! We were very comfortable with him as our ward's Young Men's Secratary. The perfect calling to fit his sometimes crazy schedule and it allowed him to be home.

By Tuesday everything had sunk in. Our week was going better. Wednesday came and then Thursday. We went to dinner and did temple sealings with our good friends the Kimballs. They are always fun and we love catching up.

Friday, I was excited! My family was coming into town for the mission farewell of my niece and nephew. My mom and sister, Robyn, stayed with me Friday night. We attended our annual ward Christmas party. Robyn really enjoyed a guitar solo of Jingle Bells. After it was over, she leaned in and said, "Larae, did you hear what he put in at the end?" I told her I didn't catch it. She said, " He played: Jingle Bells, Batman smells. Robin laid an egg." She thought he was so clever. It was my chuckle for the day.

Saturday I took Robyn shopping for Christmas. We went to Seagull Book. She loves to read LDS fiction. My mom came with us. Later that night we all met at Temple Square to see the lights. I wish I had remembered to pack my camera.

You would have gotten a laugh out of our group. There were 30+ 0f us trying to wander through the huge crowds with a wheelchair. Many times we had to wait for others to catch up. Eventually we all decided we had seen enough and went back to my van for hot chocolate and donuts. I will say that was the best part.

Sunday we all woke up to get ready for the farewell. Dustin and I snuck into our ward so he could be sustained as the new Stake Young Men's President. No more gliding by for us. He will be busy and it will require A LOT of his time, but we're up for the challenge.

We were all ready by noon and headed up to Kaysville, UT. Sydnee and Trevor gave excellent talks on the scripture, John 14:15, "If ye love me, keep my commandments." They are so ready and will serve the Lord well.

I was sad to see my family go. It always breaks my heart to say goodbye. It's hard living so far away. However, I am grateful. Because we don't see eachother everyday, each moment we share is not taken for granted. I am thankful for all the memories we make together.

Our week kept us on out toes for sure, but I wouldn't have it any other way!

2 comments:

Que and Brittany's Adoption Journey said...

We were so excited to hear of Dustin's new calling on Sunday! He will be great!

Rach said...

Congrats to Dustin! He will do amazing things in that position! It was so fun to catch up with you guys. We need to do it more often ;)