Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Sometimes there is NO room for perfection

Can you find what is wrong with this picture?








Take a closer look...




Yeah. My daughter went to church in those shoes and socks. Yes. She even wore them like that. One is upside down for goodness sake (I won't mention how they TOTALLY don't match)

We had Stake Conference on Sunday and I was going at it alone; Dustin was sick. We were in hurry and by the time I noticed, we were half way to the church. The perfectionist in me was screaming, "Oh my goodness! People are going to stare at my child. Then, they are going to judge me as a mom!" Total freak out... in my head of course.

I had to take a deep breath and remind myself that it's okay if things don't go as planned. It's kind of funny. On somethings I relax and don't sweat them, but there are those things that I totally go nuts about. My children looking presentable, is one of them (please, if you have seen my other daughter roaming the neighborhood in her Harry Potter robe, I will explain in another post).

I'm not sure why it gets my feathers ruffled, but at least I can say on this day, in that moment, I relaxed and chuckled inside of myself - after the a fore mentioned in-my-head dialogue. Imperfection is not for the faint of heart!! That's what I will have to keep telling myself for a while.

3 comments:

Que and Brittany's Adoption Journey said...

Bahaha, I love your kids!

Darrell and Alissa said...

I totally noticed the sock right off- but wouldn't have judged you, I jsut would have snickered at Becca. So I totally have the same issue with my kids looking presentable... Was mom like this or was she opposite of this so we feel we have to over compensate? I don't remember mom being over or under concerned with our appearance- did we get a weird genetic deformity?? This year I have had to accept Carly wearing a gray and black ourfit with her BROWN uggs... BROWN! She does the same thing with brown outfits and her black boots. Or the bright pink barbie lipstick to school... She is killing me but teaching me to calm down and remember it really doesn't matter. And, Becca is so stinking cute no one is going to look at her feet anyway- her cute little face will keep their attention!

Larae Taylor Merritt said...

Yeah, Alissa. I totally understand the whole brown and black thing. Becca does the same thing!!! She doesn't understand when I try to explain. Maybe we are too weird about it! :)