Friday, January 11, 2013

Grace's Poem for Reflections 2012

I don't know how many schools do the Reflections program, but our does. Every year they give a theme and the kids choose from photography, visual arts, dance & theatre, music, film, and literature. They create their own project based on the category they chose.
My kids do it every year. They usually either draw a picture or write something. I'm always grateful they take the challenge because it's good for them. They need to use those creative juices that usually sit in their brains.
The theme this year was: The Magic of a Moment...
Grace came home and said, "Mom, I know what moment I want to write about."
"You do?!" i was surprised because it never happens this way. We have to take a while to think of something.
"Yes. I want to write about when Kate was born, when I became a sister!"
We talked about what she was going to write. That is where what she knew she wanted ended. I remember from parent teacher conference that she had written many poems. I was impressed with them. Grace usually has a hard time with creativity, but she wrote poems really well. Her teacher was impressed as well!
I suggested a poem. That's all. She took it from there. This was her finished product:
 
Sister
small, new
sleeping, pooping, crying
excited I'm not lonely
Kate
 
 
I loved it! And so did the school. She won for literature. She went on to regions, but didn't get picked to continue. I'm so happy for her because she felt so proud! She should.