Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Pioneer Day

I'm not sure how popular Pioneer Day is in other regions of the country, but in Utah, it's a big deal! The history of pioneers is huge in the Mormon culture. Stories are passed down of family members who treked across the plains and deserts to find freedom from persecution and the ability to worship how they pleased. It is something we pride ourselves in. 

Every July 24th, it's a celebration in Utah. Most people get work off. If you ever come through Utah on the 24th and wonder why in the world fireworks are being set, you will know it's for the Pioneers. There's parades, rodeos, parties.We made the trip downtown to see the Days of 47  Rodeo. We're not really rodeo people, but we got free tickets from Dustin's work, and we all had the day off! 

My kids were mostly bored until the barrel racing. They didn't like seeing the animals roped and tied, I can't blame them. The bulls were outstanding and bucked most of the riders off before the 8 second horn. I think only two managed to hang on long enough to get enough points to score. The riders of the broncos did better. Britten did leave wanting to ride a sheep though. 

Oh, and I got kissed by an alpaca. We went to the petting zoo before the rodeo. A gentleman was letting his alpaca kiss people. I was brave enough. A few minutes later, I started breaking out in hives and getting a rash all over my arms, even though he didn't come in contact with my arms. I learned I was allergic to alpacas, and that it's always a good idea to carry Benadryl in your purse! Thank goodness!















0 comments: