Monday, December 7, 2009

Sharing Testimonies

During our testimony meeting yesterday, Becca informed me that she wanted to go up and talk. I told her, "No, you have to know what to say."

She pestered me with, " Can I go up now? It's my turn, Mom." She did this over and over. She was so determined to talk into that microphone. I just kept remembering that they suggest you let your little ones go up if they are able to do it themselves.

I finally said, " Becca you have to go up and tell what you know about Jesus. What do you know about Jesus?" I knew this would quiet her because clearly she is only four years old, so what would she really know?

She said to me, " I know Jesus healed the blind man." I was caught off guard and a little embarrassed.

"What else do you know?" I asked her, this time a little more humbly.

"He blesses our food. He loves me," she replied. Now I felt awful! My little 4 year old has a testimony of Jesus. Who am I to tell her that she can't share it? The Spirit confirmed to me that she was to bear her testimony that day. I had in me that same feeling we all get when we know it is our turn, but this time it was for Becca.

We got up there and she wouldn't do it without help, but she told everyone that she knows Jesus healed a blind man and that he blesses our food. She was too fast to say that he loved her, but she knows it.

I don't know why she needed to share it that day. Maybe for someone, but maybe for her own little experience. A memory came back to me yesterday of when I was probably 5 or 6. I was in a blue hounds-tooth dress and I was wearing a white faux fur coat. It was either three-quarter sleeved, or a little too small. I was in our old ward in Mesa, AZ. I was up at the stand sharing my testimony. I don't recall all that I said, but for some reason I do remember "burying" my testimony.

Ever since I was little I never really had the fear of getting up and saying what I knew to be true. Perhaps this will be the same with Becca. At least, I hope, she will always remember the day she first bore her testimony!

3 comments:

Kristin said...

Maybe she did it so that you'd remember that time you bore your testimony. What a neat experience for you to share w/us! It's humbling and amazing what our children know (and can teach us).

Jayleen said...

She is so sweet and I enjoyed both of your testimonies on Sunday. I always loved to get up and "bury" my testimony, I wish it was still as easy as it was when I was little. :)

Audrey Taylor said...

Aaaw, she has the light of Christ strongly in her that just wants to shine and touch the hearts of those listening with pure truth.