Sunday, February 14, 2010

My Thoughts on Valentine's Day

When I was 15 I wrote this poem:

A True Valentine

He was honest, caring , and dearly loved,
but into the courts He was shoved.
"Crucify Him!" they loudly cried.
"Crucify Him that He might die!"
"I see nothing wrong with this man," Pilate said.
"Why is it that thou wants Him dead?"
"He claims to be Christ, the chosen of God,
the King of the Jews," they all mocked.
Pilate gave in and said, "Let Him die!"
With a loud voice, they all did cry.
So He was crucified on the cross.
They did not understand the cost.

He gave His life that we might live,
lifted from sorrow and saved from sin.
His love is great and ours will be too
if we learn to care and always be true.
Give of yourself and let your love show,
share it with others that they might know
of Christ's love and how truly it shines.
He, himself, was a Valentine.



Some might say it's a little off-the -wall to relate Valentine's Day to the Savior. I realize my thoughts at 15 were immature and laughable to some. But they were honest feelings. I love my Savior. And I was just beginning to understand the role He would play in my life.

Valentine's Day is the day we have the opportunity to tell somebody we love them. We go out of our way to do something nice and thoughtful for one another. I can't think of a better example of this than our Savior, Jesus Christ. No one has ever been more loving, thoughtful, gracious, or selfless.

The colors of this special day are red and white. Is there anything more fitting to represent Him? Red, symbolic of the blood shed. White representing the opportunity we all have to become clean through the Atonement. "Though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be white as snow..." Isaiah 1:18.

I would like to wish you all a happy Valentine's Day! This is my 2nd favorite holiday. Christmas being #1, of course. Take the time today to tell those you care about how grateful you are for them! Make a goal to be more kind and loving to others. The greatest gift we can ever give someone is LOVE.


4 comments:

Kristin said...

I still remember that poem! I am pretty sure I have the copy of it that you gave me in a journal. I even thought about it earlier this week. Thank you for posting it so I could read it without having to search for it for an hour first. Love ya!

i said...

What a sweet poem! If you hadn't told us you wrote it as a teenager, i would have never known!! Beautiful!

Jayleen said...

Very profound poem especially as a 15 year old. Beautiful thoughts!

Taryn said...

What a great poet you are! Thanks for sharing that was very uplifiting and put a new perspective on valentine's day for me!