Monday, May 17, 2010

The Kansas City, MO Temple

I just read about the groundbreaking in the Church News. I am am so excited for there to be a temple in the KC area. I know it must seem weird since I don't live there.
My family lived there for some time though. First we lived in Gallatin, MO for about 18 mo. My dad was the branch president there. We moved back to Mesa for a while, but in 1984, when I was 7, we moved back to Missouri. We ended up in Lee's Summit this time.

We lived here until I was almost 13. I finished elementary school there. I made some good friends. I have very fond memories of Missouri. I keep trying to convince Dustin to move there. Lee's Summit is the 10th safest city in the nation. :) He doesn't take the hint! Oh, well.

Anyway, when they announced that there would be a temple in KC in General Conference, my heart almost leaped out of my chest. I couldn't believe it! My brothers and sisters and I were the only members in the whole school until I was in 6th grade!!

I can't wait until the open house. I hope that I will be able to make it back for it. We plan on holding our family reunion there next year, maybe we should postpone it for another year!

Just thought I'd share a picture.

3 comments:

ChicChat said...

It looks very similar to the Oquirrh Mountain Temple...with the additional steeple. You should go back. That would be a neat trip. I want to go to Rome when that one opens up. Want to join me? :)

Darrell and Alissa said...

We are so excited too- our temple is the Oklahoma City Temple, but we'd go to the KC one since Kevin and Amy are there- and it holds a special place in my heart for me too! It just makes me think of the saints who lived there and they were trying so hard to build the temple- I know every temple is important but this one and the Nauvoo to me have special meaning and it's finishing a work that was started so long ago. COme out- we'd be there too... maybe Allegiant will have dcent prices and you could go to LV and fly with a lot of the fam... just a thought!
BTW- I thought only old people read the Church News!:)

Natalie said...

I really like the idea of trying to make the open house as part of the reunion. We really need to discuss that when we get together! That would be such a great experience!