Monday, May 3, 2010

Neglecting the Things that Matter

I should be cleaning my house right now, but I'm choosing to NEGLECT my house and do what I want to do. I don't do this very often, but I'm being naughty today.

Life is so chaotic at the moment. I seem to never have a day of rest. Even Sundays are not very restful. I guess that's how life goes. Dustin was sweet and recognized that I have been having a hard time lately, maybe it was me crying in the basement as I sat and folded laundry, who knows. He went and purchased me an hour long massage. Boy did I need that! I had a rather interesting conversation with the lady as she was massaging my neck. Here's how it went:

Her- "You say you suffer from stress headaches? What type of job do you have?"

Me- "I'm a mom."

Her- "Oh, well how many kids?"

ME- "I have five."

Her- "Ohhhh. That explains it. You are one giant knot in your neck. I would suggest next time you come in, if you come in, you schedule for an hour and a half of knot work."

Me- "Really? I'm that bad?"

Her- "Uh... yeah. Really bad."

When I left that place, I felt like a new person. I could not believe the way my neck felt. She spent the rest of the time on the knots in my neck after our discussion. I couldn't believe I had let myself get to that point.

I think the best thing we can ever do for ourselves is take care of our physical, emotional, and spiritual needs.

In Relief Society on Sunday, I heard this quote:

"When a woman chooses to have Christ at the center of her own heart, at the nucleus of her personal world, she brings the Lord into the core of her home and family, be it a family of one a family of many. Wherever she lives and whatever her circumstances, as the heart of the family, what is in each woman's heart is reflected in the environment and spirit of her home." ~Anne C Pingree

I have neglected this lately. I have not made Christ "the center of my heart." In doing so, my home has suffered. I have suffered. I know that when I make a conscience effort to read and pray, my home life is better and so am I.

So, "back to the drawing board" as they say (even though I really don't understand that saying). My focus must be on those things that are most needful.

3 comments:

Maggie & Nate said...

Larae!
I am not sure if you have heard anything about this but...A couple weeks ago I had a seizure after sacrament meeting...The neurologist made me quit my job so I can be at home for the rest of my pregnancy. It is probably due to my Tramatic Brain Injury that I have, but I have been a stressed out mess w/ no time on my hands and I do not even have a kid. I have been "missing" church (b/c I work) & I have not been reading my scriptures which help a TON-I just need to do the little things & I think that would h elp me a ton. I have been doing a lot of that lately & I have taken a lot of naps due to the anti-seizure medicine-but I have felt SO much better about a lot of things...I am kinda looking forward to having multiple kids, but kinda not...:0~ My hubby got into Purdue in Indiana so we will be moving in the late end of July and the baby will be around a month old...so we will have to see each other soon. I am unable to drive though so we will work something out. I am glad you got your "knots" figured out and will continue to kink them out. We will talk soon.

Rach said...

Larae-
Thanks for that post. Its just what I "Kneeded" for the knots in my life!

Taryn said...

I look up to you so much. Not only are you super mom to your kids but to 4 others that aren't even yours! I don't know how you do it- but keep up the good work! I am really glad to hear that you are taking time for yourself!