Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Camp Outs

While Ryan was away on his week long scout camp, Dustin and I decided it would be fun to take the rest of us to our ward camp out. We had quite the quick little adventure.

We left early Friday afternoon. We found a nice little spot by the river. While setting up I noticed we had some little neighbors:



I realized we were out in the wild, smack-dab in the middle of "bear country" as the sign read. I took a deep breath and reminded myself it was for only one night.

The kids all had lots of fun exploring the surroundings. They were happy to discover gophers, squirrels, they even found a dead snake with its heart hanging out and ants were feeding on it! Only in nature.



We enjoyed making smore's with everybody. I have never seen such HUGE marshmallows! Becca really enjoyed them! She was a mess.



All the kids found their own walking stick and made sure to keep a hold of them while exploring.

We settled down for the night. The girls and I were in the tent while Dustin and Aaron roughed it under the stars in back of the truck. It was pretty nice. We never did get too cold.

In the morning we enjoyed yummy breakfast burritos. They were so good! Thanks ward activity people!

We played for a little while we broke camp and then headed home. I think the kids had a really good time. Becca let us know she did. "This is the best vacation ever!" she shouted. Who knew, forget Disneyland!!

~ ~ ~ ~

I just thought I'd let you all know Ryan survived. He did see a bear though. It just happened to be one of the older scouts in a costume! He said they were all so scared until they realized who it was.

He was excited to tell us all about "snipe hunting." It took me a while to convince him they weren't real. Aaron finally said, "Let's look it up on the internet." Then he believed me.

He only took one shower the whole week he was up there and that was his SECOND day! Silly kid. I told him to jump in and he did willingly. When he got out I saw his great sock line. I said, " Wow, great tan!" The closer I got I noticed it was a DIRT line! "Yuck, Ryan." He informed me it was there because of his lack of showering. I reminded him he just got out of the shower. "It will take a few days to go away," he said. I ran and got the baby wipes to clean it all off. I made sure to take a memorable photo.



Just goes to show the only thing I have to worry about when they are gone is is they shower enough! YUCK!!

1 comments:

Taryn said...

Glad you guys had a good time camping and I'm very glad to hear Ryan arrived home safe and sound!