Monday, June 7, 2010

The Value of Expectations

Our household has been running mad lately, and not because we are so incredibly busy. I have discovered it is because of the lack of expectations lately. There has been no completion of chores, no homework, no NOTHING. I've decided that life is a lot more chaotic when everybody is allowed to run around doing whatever they feel like.

I have discovered the value of expectations.

Today we woke up, they were allowed to watch TV for a moment, but then it was time to work. The dishes were done, garbage taken out, and rooms cleaned. I am getting ready to start bathrooms after this entry. :) What a difference! No fighting, no whining, grumbling, anything of the sort. They are much too busy.

This applies spiritually as well. We are expected to live to a certain standard and when it is not reached, I can tell. My life is not as happy and I am not very pleasant to be around. So this morning I put myself back on schedule to read, pray, and be thankful.

I find it funny that all we long for is a little freedom to do whatever we want. When we finally get it, we realize it wasn't as great as we thought it would be!

Here's to a lesson learned and a life time of expectations! I'll be better for it!

PS making expectation charts for each kid and what they need to work on. One for myself too. Treating ourselves when those are reached! I'll have to share when I get them done.

4 comments:

Taryn said...

Good ideas! Your always on the right track!

Darrell and Alissa said...

Our first day of summer starts on Wednesday... we made the fun summer to do list, but my kids don't know tonight we will be making the not so fun expectation list for summer... got to get stuff done before the fun- I always hated that rule as a kid, but now I get it!!

Audrey Taylor said...

I got this cd from the Love and Logic series about sibling rivalry. The key to putting a stop to their bickering is putting them to work. This one older woman that is talked about a lot on there said that working together didn't make them love each other, but it made them good at pretending they loved each other. And the better they got at pretending, the more they actually did love each other!

Jennae said...

We have also had to reevaluate things. Mom (me) was getting super frustrated at the house being so messy every night and really tired of cleaning it everyday so we started giving the kids some chores and WALLLLLLAAA, I'm happier, the house is cleaner, the kids are happier (because mom isn't so grumpy).

Now I need to work on the spiritual side a little.....props to you for always remembering that portion needs constance as well!