Monday, August 16, 2010

A God of Miracles

For me today was a learning day. Have you ever had those? I know I could have many more, but often miss the opportunity because I'm not tuned in. As I sat on my bed folding laundry, I was watching BYU television. It is one of "my" channels. I feel blessed when I get a minute watch it. Like I said, today I was tuned in. I was ready to hear what the Lord wanted to teach me.

I learned that our Heavenly Father is a "god of miracles." No, this is not new doctrine, something I have always known, but today it resonated differently within me. I started thinking what it takes to be considered a miracle.

At first you think of things like the parting of the Red Sea, or maybe the healing of the sick, blind, or dumb. One might think of turning water into wine. While these are all miraculous, they are not prevalent today. So have God's miracles ceased? That is the question I asked myself.

No, I answered. His miracles still abound, ever much so. I thought of the amazing journey a baby travels into existence. It happens more than once a day. What about the mind of a child? Isn't it a miracle how fast it increases in knowledge. The process through which they learn is astounding! I thought of the creation of this world. The littlest detail was not forgotten. This world replenishes itself everyday. If only I had the time to watch it happen!! I'm sure I would be in awe of it all!

My mind wandered, still calculating. Realizing that even the most simplest of things are miracles, things that we take for granted everyday.

My final thoughts surrounded the Atonement. What a miracle! To know that little, insignificant me can grow to be divine! My everyday efforts can be multiplied and magnified if I use this precious gift. My weaknesses can disappear if I remember to ask for help.

I learned today that God's miracles will not end unless I allow it. When I stop relying on His power and start trusting my own, thinking I have it covered and can do it myself, then his miracles will cease in my life. I am responsible for the number of miracles that occur in my everyday life. Miracles are not dead, not yet, not ever!

4 comments:

ChicChat said...

That was an awesome thought. Thank you for being in-tuned! I have those days or moments too, when I become aware of the mighty miracles God has granted me.

Maggie & Nate said...

Yesterday was one of those days for me as well...look on my blog to read my story...but Heavenly Father is an amazing, caring, loving, etc person!

i said...

i am a fan of everyday miracles. ;) i just have to keep my mind open to them .

Taryn said...

Wow that was deep! It sure got me thinking! Thanks so much for sharing that- you are an inspiration and such a beautiful example of a righteous woman!