Monday, November 22, 2010

Day 4: Cabo

We were really excited to get off of the ship and see Mexico. Cabo did not have an actual dock, so we had to be tendered in by little boats. There were like 3,000 people on this ship! It was going to take a while, so we waited, and waited. Finally it was our turn to load the tenders.


little boats down below to take us to shore




Cabo from the ship



waiting to be tendered in

We got ashore and the first thing we saw was this:





Not very appealing and the smell was awful, but we kept watching. It was interesting to see how they cut the fish up.

In Cabo they really just dropped you off in their market. We were met by some very aggressive taxi drivers and tour guides. All were pining for your business. It was overwhelming. I have never been out of the country, so it was shocking for me. I felt bad turning everyone down. We had already booked sea kayaking and snorkeling through the ship. We found that to be a mistake. We paid $155 dollars and there were guides willing to do it for $70. Oh, well.

Sea kayaking was an adventure to say the least. I am TERRIFIED of water!! I wanted to be a good sport though. After all, we are in a place we will probably never be again. We paddled out to Lover's Beach from the main area, about a mile. I was reminding myself to breath the whole time. I did not want to go into a panic. We made it. I was so relieved, but had given myself a stress headache!

They let us play on the beach a moment, but then we had to board a little boat. It took us on a tour of their rock formations. We saw quite a few of the water life as well.



this separated the Sea of Cortes (side we were on) and the Pacific Ocean





We also saw Land's End. It is the end of the Baja Peninsula.



Then we were instructed to put on our snorkeling gear. This made me a little squeamish, but I reminded my self of how I had survived the kayak. It cam time to jump into the water and I was PETRIFIED! The guide could tell and suggested I sit rather that just jump in. I did, and I was proud of myself.

I wish we had brought a waterproof camera to get pictures of what we saw under the water. It was amazing. We tried to reach out and touch the fish, but they were too fast. Dustin and I swam hand in hand, gazing at all the angel fish, clown fish, and Dorey fish (not sure what they are really called, they were like Dorey off of Nemo). So romantic, huh?



After about 20 minutes, we both became ill from the sea water. Ugh. It was so salty!! We just swam for a minute and then headed back to the boat.

Soon they told everybody to come back. We took our gear off and headed back to the beach where we had left our kayaks. We jumped into them again and paddled another mile to the main beach. This time I was a lot more calm and was able to enjoy the thought of being out in the sea.

When we got back and it was all over, Dustin asked, "So, did you like it?"

I just simply relied, "Next time will be better. I won't give myself a headache."

I wish we had pics of us on the kayak, but they wouldn't let you bring anything but a water bottle. Maybe next time.

We got back to shore and did some shopping. I learned quickly to not window shop like I would in the states. The minute I seemed interested in something, the owner came up ready to offer me a good deal. "Good deal for you today, Senorita!" or "Special price for you, Senorita."

I did buy my girls some handmade, clay whistles. I got a cowboy hat. Dustin loves it! Don't have much to wear with it though.

We got back on the ship at about 4:30 pm. Waited on the deck to leave, then we crashed for a while in our bed. It was an exhausting day!!

0 comments: