Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Day 5: Mazatlan

Mazatlan was by far the poorest city we visited. It was pretty shady, but it was by far my favorite city. We had the best tour guide who took us into the city and explained the culture to me. I really loved it. We basically shopped in the market and a few galleries there. But we did visit an awesome church. The building was gorgeous! It was, however, strange to be taking pictures of the church while there were people worshiping.

It really was the poorest city. The minute we stepped off the boat, you knew it. There were little children wandering the streets, selling tiny boxes of Chiclets gum for money. They didn't know English. They would just come up to you and say. "Money?" It was so sad. It took everything in me not to put like a dollar in every child's plastic cup. They were so dirty and hadn't had baths. It was awful.

The city market was culture shock! I have never seen so many bugs in my life. Vendors who had money, covered their food goods with plastic, but the poorer ones had none. Their food and candy were swarming with flies, bees, and a lot more. I wish my kids were there to see it!

Inside the market was crazy! The meat market took my breath away (not in a good way). The meat was not refrigerated well. I couldn't imagine having to shop there.

Hard to see why I liked it so much? Well, the people were very friendly. It made up for it. We apparently have a lot of family there. When the peddlers asked us where we were from and we said Utah, their response was the same. "Oh, my __________ (fill in with brother, parents, cousin) lives in Utah. We are practically family!" Of course their intent was to get us to buy from them, or book a taxi with them, but it was fun. One guy noticed Dustin speaking Spanish and asked, " Are you from Utah?" I nodded and he pointed to his sign. It said: LDS welcome.

It was fun to experience the city. Something we didn't do in Cabo.

Here are a few of the pictures we took.

Wish I had taken some of the market.








pic of Mazatlan, can you see our boat??


pic of the city from the highest point


Church we visited in downtown


cliff divers, CRAZY!!


being brave, but then realized it was not my hat on my head...

2 comments:

Jayson Michael West said...

It was so fun to see your pics of Mazatlan!! I lived there for 6 months. Mike and I also went there on our Honeymoon. It's interesting to hear that you thought it was the poorest city you've seen in Mexico, because in my travels it's been the nicest and wealthiest. I haven't checked out Cabo or gone on a cruise yet though. And I LOVE the Cathedral and the Mercado. Some of my fave places to go. You're right about the bugs though. I got used to eating them up cuz they were always in my food! Awesome pics!!! Glad you had a good time. When are you having some wardies over for a slide show? :)

Larae Taylor Merritt said...

Tristin, we did go to some wealthy parts of Mazatlan, but the city as a whole just seemed less fortunate. Cabo wasn't all that better, but Puerto Vallarta was very different from both of them. It was more modernized. We will have to have a slide show. :)