Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Not Bummer Summer

My kids are in year-round school. This has its advantages, but definitely comes with some disadvantages. One {dis}advantage is the short summers. We have three weeks before the next school year starts.

I try to cram a lot into those weeks, hoping it's a successful summer. My plan usually includes two outings a week and then lots of park days. Our park days were few because of the crazy weather pattern this year. Our Summer actually felt like Spring. It would've been really nice if it had not been for the amount of rain we got. I'm not complaining, I know others were lacking in water, but when you're trying to fill the {long} days of Summer, it can be a little frustrating.

We were able to do some fun stuff though. Our outings included: bowling, the movies, the library, and swimming. We went swimming every Friday and we would do one of the other activities on another day of the week. I always forgot my camera, so I have no pictures.

We did however have two really fun trips. We went to the Bingham Copper Mine and we took a hike up to Donut Falls in Big Cottonwood Canyon. Here are some pictures from those trips:

The Bingham Canyon Mine



The open pit

We road on great big tour bus from the parking lot. It was about a 10 minute drive. The kids loved it!





So notice in these pictures Becca is getting all cuddly with what ever we are taking pictures of. The tire picture I made her turn around, but thrust me she is still trying.



This is what she looked like when I asked her to stop. I just ruined her day.


Donut Falls Hike

It took us about an hour to hike and come down the trail. We really enjoyed being out in nature with our good friends, the Corderos. The kids all had a good time and there was no complaining!



We saw a moose on the way up. I couldn't get the greatest picture. I really didn't feel like getting charged.



The wild flowers were everywhere!



Can you see the water fall in the back? The water was high so, we couldn't hike in.








We enjoyed our summer break. It went fast, but it seems to go faster every year!


1 comments:

Taryn said...

Cute pics! The hike looks like fun!