Sunday, November 16, 2014

Married 18 Years

I write about this every year. It's our anniversary today.
 When we married, I was barely 20 and Dustin 22. We were babies. If my son came and asked about getting married at 22, I would freak out! And, I tell my daughters all the time that they cannot get married until they are 24! So hypocritical, I know. But looking back always brings me peace and I realize how happy I am that we got married. No regrets. So I'll relax a little if my kids come to me as babies, announcing they are getting married.

We all got up early this morning to get ready for our 9:00 church. About a half hour into our routine, I noticed none of my family could be found! I called out. I could hear them in the basement. Dustin rushed up and asked me to take the baby into the bedroom and dress him. I knew they were up to something, so I went. Not before I asked what they were doing, though. He glared at me. He hates it when I'm so nosy. A few minutes later, they called me in. I came into the front room and found this:



Dustin laughed a little and then he frowned. "They were supposed to be floating in the air!"

On my floor were 18 red, deflated balloons. The helium had leaked out over night.  Attached to each balloon was a picture and a piece of paper. The pictures were mostly of him and me, but there was 1 of each of our kids. On the balloons the kids had written a word to describe me. On the paper, was something Dustin said about me. It was super sweet. It completely made my morning.

When you're the mom, you don't hear those kinds of things on a daily basis- actually I don't tell them enough either- so it really was joyous occasion for me. The words on the balloons read:

kind (2 times), amazing, artistic, sharing, loving (2 times), funny, beautiful, helpful, motherly, sporty, cheerful, caring, great cook, awesome, fun, and pretty. A few made me chuckle because you know they were running out of things to describe me. Artistic, great cook would be couple...

I really enjoyed reading Dustin's thoughts. 18 thoughts all about me!

1. You are the most unselfish, caring and kind person to each member of our family.
2. I think you make the best chocolate M&M cookies.
3.I am grateful for how much you put up with me!
4.I appreciate your efforts in the cleanliness of our home.
5. You are impossible not to like!
6. I am impressed by your quick creative abilities!
7. When you enter a room, you light it up with your warmth.
8.I am amazed that you know lyrics to some pretty obscure songs!
9.I love how your nose still wiggles like a bunny when you say certain words.
10.I admire that when it comes to principles, you don't back down.
11. You care for your teeth in such a meticulous manner!
12.Even though I don't admit it, I love it when you look at me.
13.I love the way you laugh!
14.I admire your quick ability to forgive.
15. I admire your strength and testimony of the gospel.
16.I like the funny sounds you make when you sleep!
17.After we argue, I adore how you try to ignore my humorous attempts at apologizing.
18. I love to imagine our future, sitting on the front porch together when we are old.

A few of those comments were said in jest. He hates that I take so long to brush my teeth. When we are rushing out the door, I'm always saying, "Hold on! I'm flossing!" Isn't it funny that what annoys us about the ones we love, we can often turn it into something we remember them for?! I think that is what marriage is all about. You put two very imperfect people together and their job is to figure out how to live with out killing each other, raising a family in the process. I am amazed we are doing it!! However, after 18 years, I'm happy to say we almost have it figured out- the living without killing each other. We have created a relationship where we compliment each other. This whole balloon fiasco is a good example. Dustin likes things to be perfect and work out the way he planned. I'm not like that. I don't need floating balloons to see the thought, effort, and love that went into it. It made me smile and made it memorable to me. Perfect is overrated!

I am so blessed to call this man mine! I have grown so much from being married to him. I am grateful that he works right along with me to raise a family. And I can't wait to sit on our porch in our rocking chairs, grateful for the journey made together!






2 comments:

hEaTh and sAraH said...

How fun! Your kids and husband are so sweet and clearly blessed to have you. Beautifully written too! Happy anniversary!

i said...

So sweet! It really is the thought!!!