Sunday, November 8, 2015

Today Was a Pay Day

I was going to write about the policy change in the church that occurred over the weekend, but my mind hurts from discussing it over facebook much too much. Don't get me wrong. I love talking about things like this, but I would much rather have a face to face conversation with people. Facebook leaves me with anxiety. So, I want to write about something different all together. I will save the policy change for another time

On Sundays I make my kids work on their church programs: Duty to God, Personal Progress, or Faith in God. They only have to do one thing. But you would think I'm asking them to cut off their big toe. Kate and Becca were working in their Faith in God books. Kate worked in the "Living the Gospel" section. Becca was in the "Developing Your Talents."

Kate chose to write someone a letter. I got the letter. I don't know if it's because I'm the easiest, but I'll take it!


Dear Mom, 

I appreciate you because everything you do is for us like you keep our house clean, go to work, keep a roof over our heads. I respect you because you sacrifice a lot of stuff for us. You let us do fun stuff and cook and clean.And you have time for us. I love you so much.

                                                                                                     Love, 
                                                                                                        Kate


I don't know why I always expect longer letters, but I do. This one was short, but oh so perfect!! It made my heart happy today!

Becca chose to write a play. She had to choose a gospel principle to write about. She decided on modesty. I was curious as to what she would do. When your kids do things like this, it really gives you a chance to evaluate what they are taking in as you teach them.

The Modest Clothes

Narrator: Once in Minnesota, a girl was walking with her friend from school.
Girl 1: Hey are you going to Joey's party?
Girl 2: I don't know what the dress code is. If I did, I would know if I would go or not.

(I cringed a little to think my daughter wouldn't go some where because of the way she is required to dress and curious that a party would have a dress code)

Girl 1: The dress code is Bikini Time.
Girl 2: Are you sure? Ask Joey to send you a picture of what we should look like.
Girl 1: Ok...done! Oh, he already text back. LOOK!
Girl 2: I don't think I should go.
Boy: (walks up) Guys, are you going to Joey's party on Friday?
Girl 1: I am!
Girl 2: I'm not.
Boy: Why?
Girl 2: Because of the clothes we're supposed to wear.
Boy: Oh, come on!  Everyone is going and it's just 1 time!
Girl 2: I know, but it's not modest...Oh! I have an idea! I'll see you Friday!

Girl 2 walks in, all stare at her

Girl 1 : WHAT are you wearing?
Girl 2: It's a bikini...with another swimming suit under it!
Girl 1: Why are you wearing it?
Girl 2: Because I still match the theme, but I also get to be modest.
Girl 1: You're right and at least you are here!

The End

This made me chuckle. I was totally surprised at the end! I'm glad that my daughter knew that if she wanted to go to a party, even if those around her were not living her standards, she could still go and live hers. We live where 70% of the population is LDS. Most places in UT is around 50%. I was worried moving here. My growing up experiences were so different and I feel they really taught me what I want to believe. I sometimes worry that the Mormon culture is so thick, that my kids will miss out on that. So I'll take this as a win in that category! My daughter knows that she can be herself and live what she feels is right in her heart no matter what others think of her. And she knows that if her friends don't hold her same standards, that's ok. 


When your child recognizes your efforts as a mother and learns what you are hoping for, that makes for a good day!

0 comments: