Tuesday, April 1, 2014

A New Chapter In Motherhood

Every now and then I get all sentimental while looking at my kids. Today was one of those days. What sparked it? My 16 year-old walking into the door of his new place of employment! I can't believe one of my kids is old enough to work. Well, old enough to work and get paid by someone other than me. 

I'll tell you it was a little like sending him off to his first day of school. I was worried  he'd be nervous. I was worried his boss might be mean. I was worried about what type of people he would be working with. Would they be nice to him? It all seems so silly. He's sixteen, not six! But I'm a mom. Mom's are like that sometimes.

I asked Ryan how it was when I picked him up- he's working to save money to drive. He really likes it. He worked the grill and firer. He was burned a couple of times. He said he was slow at first, but by the end of the night had found his groove. I'm glad he enjoys working. I'm glad he's building a good work ethic. If he keeps it up, I have no doubt that he can move up and succeed at whatever he chooses.

I've decided that instead of lamenting my children getting older, I'm going to find the joy in it. I choose to be happy about it. I hear lots of moms say they are sad that their babies are growing up.While it's true that I miss their cute little smiles and tiny voices- I still remember the way Ryan would say, "Silly Soccer," a game Aaron got for Christmas in 2003- I don't think that's the real reason. What I think we, as moms, might really be mourning is their shrinking dependence on us. Now that they are big, they no longer need us. Where do we fit in their new found independence?

Ryan may not need me to tie his shoes anymore, or blow his nose, or check his face to make sure it's clean. He now needs me to ask him how his day was, teach him the importance of being on time, following through with his commitments, or why he should tuck his shirt in at work. I'm still needed, I just don't have to take care of him physically like I used to.  I'm excited for Ryan! I'm excited to see where his life takes him. I may not be the center of his world anymore, but I plan on being a big part of it!

1 comments:

Kristin said...

I love your perspective! Thank you for writing this. You're an amzing mom!