Friday, June 5, 2009

Changes Around Here

Now that our computer is up and running, I'll fill you in on our latest happenings. Not in one post of course. I'll have lots to say for a while.


Our biggest news is that Dustin has officially started the police academy. We are adjusting. The kids are taking it the worst, but I'm not fairing very well either. He is gone all day Mon- Thurs., and all day Sat. The kids are sad that he is gone so much and constantly ask where he is. Then they catch themselves, and remind themselves, that he is at the academy. I have noticed that my patience is lacking. It is something I'm trying to work on. Doing a lot by myself has stressed me out a bit. We'll get through it though.

I'm excited for Dust. This is a dream come true for him. He is excited! We have decided that he will keep his Salt Palace job and get on the reserves in Bountiful or Lehi. They start out as part-time. This way we don't take such a pay cut.

He is learning A LOT! He shows me every night. I am his practice dummy. I never thought that I would be put in handcuffs, body searched, and even thrown (softly) to the ground because I was trying to flee. They are tested on how well they perform the tactics, so he has to know them inside out. The kids have even got into the action! We were at Wal-Mart and Aaron begged for a pair of handcuffs. I gave in. They now walk around with those and play cop. Here's an example-

Grace had Kate handcuffed. Here's the conversation (keep in mind Dustin practices on me):

Grace: "Now Ma'am, when I undo this hand, I would like you to rest your hand on your head and leave it there. Do you understand?"

Kate: "Yes."

Grace undoes the left hand.

Grace: "I am now going to undo the other hand. Please put it on your head as well."

If you could have only seen this taking place. I laughed so hard! Kate does this to Becca too. Little cops all over the place!

We are stuck watching cop shows. He is trying to learn by watching Tru TV. That's the cop channel! I will say you learn somethings. He's just trying to observe how they handle situations and things like that. Doesn't make for the best entertainment though, for us who are not planning on being a cop anyway. We'll survive. We are happy to support him!

3 comments:

The Bach 10 said...

You hang in there!! We can get together maybe do dinner together or whatever. Call me and we will set it up.

i said...

WOW! so much going on. glad his dream is a reality....hope it's a sweet dream. :)

Rach said...

Larae you're amazing! Unfortunately it seems that not all dreams can be chased at the same time... especially with children. Dustin will never forget your support in following his dreams! Just make sure he repays the favor. I think a girls week away when he's done, would give him a small glimpse into what you're going through... Let me know when and where and I'll help you celebrate!!