Monday, August 25, 2008

If You Had a Magic Remote...

On one of my recent trips to the DI (I love good deals), all the kids were in the sad little toy section. Kate was so excited by her good find. It was a battery operated Dora sucker holder?! (I guess we are so lazy now we are unable to manually turn our suckers when we need to. Don't worry the used sucker was not included) She was so excited! When she pushed the button Dora's arms would wave up and down. She thought it was pretty cool. "Mom, can I have this please, please, please? I want it!" she begged.

After seeing it's amazing trick, and being convinced it was totally useful I said, "Sure. We can get Dora." She jumped up and down and bragged to all present how she was getting this treasure and they were not. I laughed. "You are one lucky girl Kate," I informed her. She smiled in agreement.

We got home and she told me this was her magic remote. I asked her, "Really, what does it control?"

"You!" she shouted. "You are my robot." She pressed the button and sure enough I did a robot dance for her. She looked speechless. Maybe it was my good dance moves, or maybe the fact she thought it really worked. You be the judge.

Later we were outside playing on bikes and scooters. Ace had gotten in her way. She stopped, pulled out her remote, pushed the button, and Ace moved. Her look said it all. She new this remote really was magic. "Mom, this remote controls moms and dogs," she said. I just nodded and agreed. I couldn't damper her excitement.

I am always intrigued by a child's ability to imagine. Their minds are so creative that sometimes they are quite gullible. That is not a bad thing. It made me think back to how I was as a child. I felt a little sad that I have lost the ability to let go and enjoy things of my own creation. I get to realistic in the things I do and say.

So, here's a breif list of what my magic remote would control:

1. the weather, wouldn't it be great to chose the temperature, or type of day it would be? I love the rain

2. the laundry, with a press of a button it would all be folded instantly and put away

3. my kids, wouldn't it be grand to control tattling, talk back, fighting, etc... I wouldn't control their personalities that would be sad if they were all the same, just the naughty stuff

4. the TV, it would be fun to have Dustin puzzled as to why the things not working, or all that plays is What Not to Wear, Little House on the Prairie, BYU Devotionals, all my favorites

I could go on, but I don't have enough time in the day to think. Sadly, I do have to get back to reality. The kids will be home from school soon. Just want to know, if you had a magic remote what would you control?

6 comments:

thecustercrew said...

I am all for your remote. One that could control all of that, especially the laundry, is definately what I need.

Taryn said...

I will try and explain how to make a link....hope i make sense. When you are on the screen that you are creating a post you just highlight the word that you want to create into a link and then you press the button at the top (it's right of the italic i) looks like a green circle with a link on the top. Then another pop-up box will appear and you just type in the link address that you want that word associated with. On my screen it then put a weird code into my post, but when you publish it comes out right.

Audrey Taylor said...

You just make me laugh! I am picturing you dancing like a robot. The sad little toy section.. ah haaa haaa! I know they tell us not to have loud laughter, your descriptions of things make me break that sobering guideline.
I would zap people from Utah, Arkansas, and Missouri into my living room and then back home again at the end of the weekend!

Kristin said...

My magic remote would freeze time while I read all the blogs I love to read! :) It is sometimes hard not to get 'sucked in' and spend too much time at the computer.

Kristin said...

My magic remote would freeze time while I read all the blogs I love to read! :) It is sometimes hard not to get 'sucked in' and spend too much time at the computer.

Kristin said...

What template do you use on your blog? I've been trying to get a background from The Cutest Blog on the Block. I figured out how to add the background, but it looked really bad under the template I currently have (bright pink titles look bad w/the subdued colors in my new background). The background I chose was kind of busy, so I wanted something white on top of the background like you have so that it is easy to read. Thanks for your help--just send me an e-mail if you have any answers for me.