Sunday, August 10, 2008

What a Two-year-old and a Four- year-old Know about Church

I was playing "church" with Kate and Becca today. Do any of you remember doing this when you were little? I remember I always gave talks and the vacuum was my microphone. I was quite a good speaker. I also remember breaking bread and water and having the sacrament. I was little and didn't understand this was a big no, no. Anyway, it was interesting to see their own little take on one of my favorite childhood past times.



Kate was the teacher and Becca was her "dollar" (daughter). I got to be one of the primary kids. We had a good lesson. It showed me what she understood about the Gospel. She taught about the Holy Ghost. He helps us to be kind. Becca let me know that the Holy Ghost doesn't "get you." I'm glad she understands he is not a scary thing. I think this is why Kate calls him the Spirit.



Next she talked about the Word of Wisdom. This we do to keep our bodies "strong and healthy," she said. She let us know,"You have to keep your bodies bathed so they are clean." She totally understands that we need to take care of our bodies, even though D&C doesn't mention taking a bath!



We talked about following the prophet. She learned that we have a new Prophet, Thomas "Ace" Monson. Close enough for a four-year-old. I'm glad she has faith to follow him.



Now it was Becca's turn to be the teacher. Kate didn't like the idea, but oh well. She started out by saying, "Today class...". She seemed to not get much further than this. If we talked a little she would point her finger and say in a strong teacher-like voice, "Hey, quiet. Listen to the teacher." I think she understands it is important to be reverent and the teacher is in charge. Good things to know when you're two!



It was fun to play with my girls. I think I should tell you they taught their lessons straight from their "scriptures." They don't have real ones so they improvised. They used their board books. What cuties.

5 comments:

Taryn said...

So dang cute! I too used to play church and even pretended that I was the bishop's wife. They are so cute and what an appropriate thing to play on a sunday :) I have to tell ya what Carson said about the rain yesterday... He asked if when it rains that means Heavenly Father is crying? So we had a talk about the water cycle and I told him that even though the rain comes from "heaven" and He made the rain that it wasn't tears :) HOw else do you explain things to a 4 year old?

The Bach 10 said...

So cute!!

Darrell and Alissa said...

I so remember playing church with the vaccum- and that i bit you since you took my "microphone"- then out of no where mom appeared and bit me back! That's so cute that they actually understand! We're lucky to get Carly to stay sitting for 10 minutes quietly at church- let alone learn anything!

thecustercrew said...

They are sooo cute. Kylea and Logan used to do that when they were younger. Just don't let them use the pointed attachment as a mobile microphone. Kylea did that and she ended up tripping and jabbing it in the back of her throat. Who whould have thought the vacuum could be dangerous without being pluggd in.

Steve and Kalli said...

I stopped playing scrabble with steve for a while because i got to competitive! But now that i have won once I think I can losing a little more now! Your family is so big! I can't believe it!