Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Empathy or a Life Lesson

Mom: "Ryan, please go help pick up the playroom."

Ryan:"But I didn't make that mess..." he's interrupted...

Mom: "Ryan, I clean up messes that I don't make EVERYDAY! Now, please go clean!"

I hate cleaning up messes that I don't make, so why do I lack empathy for my children in this situation? I guess I'm feeling a little guilty, but not too guilty to call him back up here to tell him that he doesn't have to clean. I guess I wouldn't want to cheat him of one of the realities of life...Sometimes life stinks!

He's smellin' something stinky!

3 comments:

thecustercrew said...

Oh the joys of motherhood. I get the same thing constantly at my house. My favorite response now is "I don't wear your stinky underwear everyday, but I always wash it." It seems to work, for now anyway:)

i said...

hey, i clean up messes i don't make too!!! (and i use that EXACT SAME LINE when I'm talking to Justin.) :)

Audrey Taylor said...

These are his first lessons in the law of sacrifice and the law of consecration!