Monday, April 12, 2010

'Tell Me the Stories of Jesus'

Growing up this was one of my MANY favorite primary songs. I loved to hear the stories of Christ, the things he did through out his life on this earth. I remember reading them from a child's book when I was small. I can still picture that book in my head.

One talk that touched me during conference was given by Elder Neil L Andersen (okay, I admit, i was sleeping during the Sunday afternoon session, but I found the highlight in the Church News). He counseled how we should be teaching our children the stories of Jesus. When we do this, their testimonies will grow.

He states, " Each [youth] needs his or her own light, his or her own 'steadfast and immovable' faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, independent of parents, youth leaders and supportive friends."

I am hoping to do this. I never realized that in FHE we don't focus on stories of Him, more on the principles of the gospel. I want my children to know and love the Savior. To know all about His life when He was here. He set a tremendous example and they have to be aware of it if I want them to follow it.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

That is a very good point. I loved this talk too. I have been so focused on teaching the principles thinking that my boys wouldn't really get into and understand scripture stories. But I love the way your highlighted this talk and made me rethink the idea. I think I need to have a little more confidence in my boys. They'll understand what they need too. You are such a great mom. Thanks for being a good example to me.

Audrey Taylor said...

I look up to you. It's wonderful how you diligently continue to learn and implement these practices into your life. It will make a difference in your children's lives. They are so good. :)

Jennae said...

Well put, it all started because of Him, and will end in glory if we follow Him. If we follow Him, the priciples just fall into place. Thanks for always being a great example and sharing your spiritual upliftments!

Kristin said...

That was one of my favorite Conf. talks, too. I love the picture you put in this post!

thecustercrew said...

That is one of my favorite primary songs too. I sing it to Max at night. I have always loved it.