Saturday, December 18, 2010

Marriage has Changed Us

While blogging about our trip to Mexico,something wonderful happened. Dustin and I celebrated 14 years of marriage! I consider this a huge accomplishment. We have come along way since those early years of marriage. We are both so different. He no longer yells, complains, and argues that the toilet paper is on wrong! I have convinced him that there never was a right way and he should just be happy if it finds it's way to the toilet paper holder. We are both not quite as opinionated as we once were. We have learned to find common ground, but we still have hard time with not being right. Something that will never change, I'm sure.

It amazes me to look at old pictures and really comprehend how young we were! That has definitely changed. We are no longer that young, cool couple. We are the middle aged grumps. We both wake up each morning with stiff backs and joints, cursing our age. Our bodies are not what they used to be. We both have gained about 30lbs from that day.

My goal after the wedding day was to start school.I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with my life. Teacher? Counselor? Something humanitarian? The choices were endless and mine to achieve! Those plans came to a screeching halt 4 months later when I learned I was pregnant. I am very, very far away from those aspirations.

Sometimes it is a little confusing. I feel sad that I am not that girl anymore. I'm so different. Should it really be that way? Shouldn't I have stayed true to who I was?

Then after really contemplating, I realize life is all about change. Life was never meant to be lived from the exact same spot where you started, otherwise I'd still be at home. I heard Elder Costa once say, "Do not be afraid to confront the waves of your future." My future definitely brought in waves of change. I feel confident in the way I have faced them. Because of them, I feel I am a better me.

So, Yea for marriage! Yea, for the changes it has brought to me and my life! I look forward to the many, many more that are in store! I hope to face them confidently.

3 comments:

Maggie & Nate said...

like you said Larae - Life changes all the time...it can be a happy thing or a sad thing, but it is all a trial & different experiences that make life worth living. We grow more closely & stronger to the Savior & more fully understand the Atonement better.

Ang said...

Wow. These sentiments could almost exactly be mine about my marriage. It's amazing how fast time flies and where your paths have gone through the ups and downs of life.

Mama Bear said...

I loved this post.. and not because I now have hope that Jeff and I will stop arguing one day about which way the toilet paper will go (glad to know we arent' the only couple that argues about that) but because although we change and we give up on certain dreams we had before we got married but that new dreams come in to replace those. Congratulations! You guys are awesome!