Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Attatched

It is 2:00 am. I just got done vacuuming my bedroom. Why? Because I am unable to fall asleep without my husband. He works graves and we no longer sleep at the same time, snuggled right next to each other. Honestly it bothers me.

Dustin and I met February 14, 1996. We were at the same ice skating rink for our ward's mutual activity. No, we were not there as part of the mutual group, we were leaders. He had just returned from his mission, three months prior, and was the deacon adviser. I was there because my brother was the Young Men's president and I was helping him. My brother introduced us. Dustin offered me a ride home and upon arriving, asked me out for that weekend. I apologized and told him I wouldn't be able to this weekend. I told him that I was going home for my boyfriend's mission farewell. Not words he wanted to hear, I'm sure. He asked about the weekend after that, I agreed. We said goodbye.

February 24, 1996. This was our first date. He took me to see Vandermiede, a magician, at the Murray theater. I think we even got ice cream after, but I'm not sure. All part of his clever plan to not spend too much on a date that might not pan out. He had been set up many times since coming home. And I did have a boyfriend, after all.

I think, much to his surprise, we had a good time getting to know each other. He asked me a lot about my boyfriend and the promise ring I was wearing, trying to see how serious it was. I pretty much told him it was very serious and I just planned on dating and having fun until my boyfriend returned. He seemed okay with it. It didn't sour the date. Maybe it even gave him a challenge, I don't know. After dropping me off, he asked if I wanted to go to a fireside with him the next evening. I said sure, I had nothing else to do.

To make a long story short, in that 1st week of knowing each other we went on 5 dates. The boyfriend didn't work out like I thought it would and we were never apart from that time forward.

So, is it any wonder why I can't sleep without him? After 14 years of marriage I can count on one hand the number of times we have been separated (well, if you don't include the annual hunts).

I try to keep myself busy, facebook comes in handy. My daughter tells me all the time that she got up in the middle of the night to turn off my TV because I had fallen asleep with it on. Housekeeping makes the time go fast, but it is the last option.

How happy do you think I am to say this?:

Dustin Merritt will no longer be working the graveyard shift!! We will be sleeping in the same bed, at the same time. And I will not be vacuuming my house at 2 am anymore. At 2 am I will be fast asleep in the crook of my husband's arm.

I cannot wait.

1 comments:

thecustercrew said...

It stinks to have them gone at night. I have long gotten used to it though. Although I am rarely in bed befor 1:00 when he is gone. I am glad you get your honey back at night. Sweet Dreams!!!