Sunday, February 8, 2015

Sound Advice from a 9 Year-old

Keeping this blog updated is always on my mind, but one of my very last priorities- sad, I know. Being the mom of six kids doesn't allow me to do all I want in one day. I, like everybody else, must choose the things I want to occupy my time. Usually, my time is consumed with work, cleaning, cooking, cleaning some more, night routines and then if I'm lucky, a little break before I end up falling asleep on the couch. Today was different. Why? Because I wanted it to be. Today I wanted to remember the words of my 9 year-old daughter.

This week a friend of mine lost her little boy. He was 5 years old. Tomorrow is his funeral. I am quite certain that she is anxiously gathering ANYTHING that will remind her who this little boy was.

The writing that caught my attention belonged to my 9 year-old. In her rush this morning, she ended up leaving her pink fluffy, heart decorated journal on the counter- see why I'm always cleaning? I came home from work, grabbed myself a little snack, and sat down to read what insight a 9 year-old might have (just call me Marie Barone). She's not my first 9 year-old, so I knew I was in for a treat. What I didn't expect was how wise her words might be.

After skimming a lot of pages with hand drawn hearts, flowers, and even a few talking about how much she loved the twins from "Suit Life", I came to her last entry. It wasn't dated, so I don't know when she wrote this, but her words will be timeless. Now, I must tell you that Becca loves to sing. She loves music. I love this about her. Because of this talent, she has been writing songs for a very long time. This is the song I read of hers today:

"Follow Your Own Heartbeat"

Walking down the wrong road,
don't know what to do.
Everybody expects me to be like you.
But, I want my own life.
I want my own heartbeat.
All I seem to do is listen your heartbeat.
I don't want to do that my whole life.
I just want to be my own person,
listen to my own heartbeat.
Don't tell me what to do.
I don't even know you.

My heart breaks for my friend. I cannot even begin to imagine how she is handling this heartbreak. She will be in my thoughts and prayers, all of them. She has 8 children. She is an amazing woman and friend. It is not something I ever wish to experience, but because of it I will hold my kids tighter and I will watch them more closely. I don't want to ever forget any part of them.

0 comments: