Friday, March 20, 2020

Shake, Rattle, and Roll

 I was sitting on the toilet. Just minding my own business. All of a sudden, I heard a large gust of wind. I had never heard wind so loud! Then came the rumbling. I thought I was going to fall off the toilet, so I grabbled the wall. The earth just kept shaking! It lasted for what seemed forver. I really thought I was going to die on the toilet.  When it stopped, Dustin jumped up, ran to Britten's room to see if he was ok. The boy just slept through an earthquake. 

Aaron and Angel came running out of their room wanting to know if we had felt that! I was still trying to pull my pants up...Dustin ran to check on the girls downstairs. They were all in their doorway. School has taught them well, I guess. Kate, in all the madness, grabbed her fish tank and was clutching to it. We all ran into the family room upstairs to talk. Everyone was shaken. 

The news repoted that there was a 5.7 earthquake in Magna, UT. That's not too far from us, but we do have a mountain range between us, so I couldn't even imagine what it would've felt like if we didn't. Other than scared and shaken, we suffered little damage:


This was all the damage. Our JOY sign rattled to the ground. Very fitting...

Some places weren't so lucky. Old homes and businesses in Magna were closed. The angel Moroni on the Salt Lake Temple that's closed for remodeling -and being reinforced for if we ever happen to have an earthquake, crazy- suffered some damage. He dropped his horn! 




I'm pretty sure when this was said a lot of people in Utah gasped! 
 
We felt aftershocks for days! It really was nerve wracking. We spent the next few days updating emergency kits, food storage, and making a plan if we ever had a larger one. You can't be prepared too much!!







0 comments: