Monday, April 28, 2008

My New Motto:



I have always liked this quote from Marjorie Pay Hinckley. I feel it fits what I am trying to accomplish. I admire her. She always seemed to have it together. I guess you can say she is one of my HEROES!

"I don't want to drive up to the Pearly Gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking the kids to scout camp. I want to be there with grass stains on my shoes from mowing Sister Schenk's lawn. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbor's children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed some one's garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived."

I love this quote! I may not do all she is saying. I am definitely not driving a station wagon. I don't even know Sister Schenk! The point is I want to spend my life doing the things that show my Heavenly Father that I did not waste my time here. That I lifted people, rather than dragged them down. I like the hymn Have I Done Any Good. I want to spend my days doing the things He would have me do.

4 comments:

Darrell and Alissa said...

I love that quote too! Oh, come on- you could totally get away with a station wagon! I have started to change my ways also- I know when I'm feeling down service is one of the best things- so today I am finding someone to serve!!

Rach said...

Thanks so much for posting that. I haven't heard that before and its just what I needed today!!

thecustercrew said...

What a great quote. It really helps you to keep things in perspective. But I'm with you, I don't think I could do the station wagon. #1 reason my kids won't all fit. Ha Ha!!

Audrey Taylor said...

Larae, you've lifted me. Your blog page is like a good book. I think it is wonderful that you are stepping up and taking charge of becoming the kind of woman that you want to be. You inspire me. The Lord has definately provided ways for us to improve ourselves and you are seeking those things out. I'm thankful to read what you write and hopefully become a little better myself.