Sunday, May 17, 2009

A Change of Attitude

This week there has been a few events that have made me realize that I am far too ungrateful for the people and things I have in my life. No major events, just time to really reflect.Life is crappy sometimes! I get into the "poor me syndrome". I feel everybody should pity me. What I didn't realize is that maybe these "terrible" things have a purpose.

I think sometimes I expect everything to be just the way I want, all springtime and butterflies, all the time. When the unpleasant stuff arrives, I'm always saying, "What the heck? I don't deserve this." That's when the pity party starts. Poor me and my sad little world too. I mope and hate life for a while.

I never realized that maybe, just maybe, Heavenly Father is trying to teach me something. I look back at all the challenges I've had to overcome and I can honestly say I'm better for them. I would not be who I am today if I had not gone through some of the things I've had to go through. Granted, some I brought on myself, but others were tests just for me. Tests that made me stronger and better. I just had to change my attitude and learn to see the sun between the clouds. Now if I can just keep it in mind when the next storm comes!


5 comments:

Kristin said...

I love the picture w/this post! It's always nice to look back and see how our trials blessed us, but it probably would make it easier to handle them when we're going through them if we remembered they're blessings in disguise. Pity parties are a very natural man, easy thing to fall into, though. I know I'm guilty of throwing those parties more often than I should. Thanks for this post!

Audrey Taylor said...

Larae,
The adversary is just AT us. I have also been feeling pressure from him. I'm so glad that you realize that to get past it, we just need to seek our Savior's love more intently (or look for the sun between the clouds...)

ChicChat said...

Well said! I think we all have little pity parties. But I hope you know that I am grateful for your friendship and getting me up every morning to exercise. What a difference that has made in my days! I have more energy and I have more time to get things done. Thank you, Larae!

thecustercrew said...

It seems like that is just the way life is. We have to endure the bad so we can really enjoy the good.

Taryn said...

Greetings from Antigua! That is what the beach looks like here!Wish you could be here too :)

Being away from everyone I love and in these poverty stricken countries has made me realized how truley blessed I am! Not only materialisticly but spiritually. Looking out over the Ocean as we left port yesterday made me start to realize that i can't comprehend how great our Father in Heaven really is. This world is magnificent and huge.
I think that i Adam and I are the only LDS people on board and I feel so blessed to have something that the others don't have - the gospel and knowledge that this life is the time to prepare to meet God.

I love you and think you are great Larae. Hang in there and know that you are right about having to go through trials - You are a choice daughter and of much worth and purpose.He loves you and we love you!