Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I Might Be His First Groupie....



A couple weeks ago while playing a game of Loaded Questions, I was asked, "If you could be a groupie for anyone, who would it be?" I didn't have to think very long at all, but I knew my answer would be laughed at, so I hesitated writing it down. After convincing myself it was okay, I wrote it down. Michael McLean. If I could be a groupie for someone, it would be Micheal McLean. I will say that my 'groupiness' would not involve screaming madness, longing for an article of clothing belonging to him, and tossing my bra up on stage. I would conduct myself in a very decent manner.

Why? I honestly didn't really know until today.

In the summer after my sophomore year, I started realizing my life was not where I wanted it to be. I was a lost teenager not really sure of what to make out of this whole earthly journey. I needed some help. I prayed for guidance and instruction.

One day I ended up in Deseret Book (I love that place, so many life changing purchases for me there). I was was looking for something to help me. I love music, so I was searching all the cassette tapes. I came across one. I had never heard of the artist and thought ,'maybe'. Then I felt that I should buy that one. It was titled, One Heart in the Right Place, by Michael McLean. I bought it, completely unaware of how it would change my life. (I am starting to realize that all things purchased at Deseret Book, Seagull Book, or the LDS section of Walmart were to become tender mercies from a loving Heavenly Father)

I took that tape home and listened to it over and over, and over! I even remember taking to volleyball camp with me and requesting that Sis. Zohovetz play it while we drove. I couldn't get enough of it! The way I felt, as those lyrics hit my ears , was indescribable! I can tell you that they gave me hope of a better me, the true me.

Those feelings led to the purchasing of even more tapes. I soon owned every album he had out. I cherished that collection. I knew all his music and was excited when a new something of his came out! Even my sister, Alissa started adding to the collection. She bought the first CD we ever owned of his, You're Not Alone. And slowly my CD collection started to grow. ( I do feel I have to tell you my husband threw my cassette tapes away. He felt we had no need for them anymore and was unaware of their importance to me, he can always make it up to me by buying the 25Th Anniversary boxed CD set... hint, hint)

So, why am I telling you this? Well, I had a revelation today. It is why I would follow him around and attend every concert. When I feel discouraged, beaten, and hopeless, I always turn to his music. I never realized this before. Lately I have been struggling to feel that I am truly a Daughter of God. I went to Seagull book and what do you think I found? Right there on the clearance rack, a book. A book written by Michael McLean. I never knew he had written a book. Guess what came inside? A CD! A CD with a lot of the old songs that were on my tapes. And in this book he writes his memoir.


While reading it, I came to see that he and I are a lot alike. You can always learn best from someone who is a lot like you , I think. I am excited to finish this book. Maybe I will learn what I need to know about myself. I don't think it was a coincidence that I happened across it. I think Heavenly Father knows me best and what I need. I'm so grateful for that.

6 comments:

The Bach 10 said...

I love Michael McLean. Doesn't he sing a song about She Doesn't Know? That is a fantastic song to listen to when you feel bad. My doctor gave me some music therapy one day and had me listen to that song on his personal ipod i hadn't heard that song before but Paul found it in all his music. I agree with you that music will really help us through the rough days!!

thecustercrew said...

I love his music too. Whenever I have had a really bad day I have a CD of his I listen to after I put my kids to bed, when the house is totally quiet. I love it because it is one where he is singing and he tells the stories behind the songs when they were written. It always makes me feel better.

Brittany Marie said...

I had a friend in high school who dated his son or whatever. I think she just wanted to get closer to Michael. LOL

i said...

i think you must be the reason i got to know and love his music too. :) wonderful story....wonderful music.

Jayleen said...

I fell in love with his music in High School too. I remember when he came to Ricks College for a concert my roommate and I were SO excited we could hardly contain ourselves. His music is truly inspirational!

Darrell and Alissa said...

I love his music! I do the same thing- bad day means i need some inspirational music! Sadly, I don't have quite the collection anymore- my cassettes wore out and I haven't bought many cd's. I love to turn on BYU radio during the day, they play a lot of his music- must mean they know lot's of mom's need to hear it!