Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Family Garden

Last year for Mother's Day, Dustin and the boys built me some planter boxes along our fence. We planted late and had a so-so crop of veggies. The beans were aplenty and the peppers also. Our peas were devoured by the family pet.

We decided to get a better jump this year. Last night for FHE we tried again. This year we decided to try watermelon and scallions. Becca chose the watermelon. She was way excited. I was lucky to find a seed that grew little. The scallions, I wanted to try. I love green onions on everything! We also replanted peas, beans, cucumbers, and carrots. 

We made sure the kids got in on the action. Our lesson was to teach them how and to know they are responsible for this garden just as much as Dustin and I are. The girls really took to it, the boys? Well, I think they are just not willing to admit that they were excited too. So weird.




We prepped the dirt, getting it ready to plant.




We read the package. You've got to know how far to plant the seed and how far apart to put them.



We took the seeds in our hands...


and then we planted.



And planted.









And planted, until we had rows that looked like these.


After planting you cover them up and water .







 It takes LOTS of water!



 We make sure everyone helps and everyone gets a turn.




There are lots of smiles. It's fun!








There's even a little time for basketball.







Ace tried to help, but he was just lectured.
 "You better stay out of my peas this year," I told him. 




I think he got the message.





1 comments:

Jayleen said...

Hi Larae,

That's funny that we both have posts on our garden. Isn't a great feeling to eat the fresh veggies from our own gardens?

Thanks for the compliment, it feels like all my hard work is finally starting to pay off!