Thursday, May 17, 2012

Grandma Taylor

My mom came up the weekend of Kate's baptism. It was fun to host her. I love having my mom come because I know my kids are getting to know her. And I want them to know her!

I never really spent much time with my grandparents, on either side. My dad's dad died when he was five and his mom died when I was six. I remember visiting her house so my mom could take care of her. She had a stroke years before. I had never heard her speak or even look at me or address me. I also remember singing at her funeral. The grandchildren sang, I am a Child of God. I remember crying during the funeral as I sung it. It's weird because I was six. This lady never talked to me. Why would I be sad?

My mom's parents lived a good trip from us. I remember visiting. I remember one time I got to chop wood in the backyard with my Grandpa's ax. I remember horses. I'm not sure if they were theirs or their sons. I remember my grandma always had cookies. I also remember I was afraid to go upstairs at her home. One thing that stands out in my mind were the pictures of her and Grandpa Irl when they were young. I remember thinking how beautiful she was and how handsome he was. 

All these flashback, half memories are confusing to me. This is why I want my kids to have memories with my mom. They already don't remember my dad. I know that everything they do with my mom will be important. She doesn't live close and they don't see her often, maybe 3 times a year if we're lucky. They will end up with the same memory I have of my grandparents. this saddens me.

I thought one day, "That might be the case, but my kids are going to have pictures." I think pictures help bring back a memory. I have none with my own grandparents, therefore no recollection. It's just a theory.

Here's our first Grandma Taylor picture. It was taken Sunday, May 6, 2012. My mom was getting ready to leave back home. My kids just crawled out of bed. They are not all put together, but I got my picture!






*I wanted to add my theory of why I cried at my Grandmother's funeral, so I don't come off insensitive. I honestly feel I cried because I was feeling the Holy Ghost. It is one of the earliest recollections I have of feeling the Spirit. I think that is why my testimony of the Plan of Salvation is so strong. I believe it is a gift from my Grandpa and Grandma Taylor. I know I will know them someday.

2 comments:

Maggie & Nate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maggie & Nate said...

(sorry I deleted my comment) I feel like I know both my grandparents very well!
I visited them every summer for a week (I am not sure if that is do-able for your family or Aunt Saundra) but it is good memories! Pictures are worth it though & it looks great!