Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day 2008

We had such a fun Father's Day. I'm sure Dustin felt the same. It was great for me because I actually pulled off a surprise (he always seems to figure things out). Ten years ago Dustin won a nice drill from a work Christmas party. We were so broke that year. We even counted that as his Christmas present. Well, a few months later our budget was really tight. In order to have some extra money, Dustin sold his drill. I know it was really hard for him because it was a NICE drill. The past years he has had to settle for his cheap Black & Decker. I decided I was going to replace that drill that he gave up so many years ago. He has been saying he needed a new battery for his old one, so no better time.


I did my usual poem. I added a new picture of the kids for his office. I also bought a new bit set for is drill. I put these in a gift bag. He thought that was all he was getting! (I had the boys run and get the other gift) He loved the poem and picture. He commented on the bit set, "How did you know what to get?" (I always fail at buying tools) He said, "Hon, these are real nice. I just don't have a drill to use them." Talk about perfect timing, just as he said this the boys returned with a big wrapped box. Dustin's eyes got huge and he started laughing!



I explained to him why I bought it and he was so happy. I was happy because I had totally surprised him. I also know he was excited!



Th kids made him some cards they were cute. Grace filled out a fill in the blank too. Dustin is 23 years old, weighs 80 lbs., and works in a building. He loves lasagna and watching funny shows.



Happy Father's Day, Dust! I love you! You're such a great dad!



Dustin with his gifts
The poem read:
Things we remember about children:

- “loud” is their permanent volume setting
- fighting and teasing become a personal agenda
- somehow they always ruin the grass
- more toothpaste winds up in the sink than on the brush
- socks are often abandoned and left
- the car is their dumping ground
- talking back is a natural talent
- they have an unending supply of energy
- tantrums can be caused by ANYTHING, nothing is off limits
- “not me” is always to blame
- “Teacher told me so”, I am no longer the smartest
- I am the reason their life’s not fair




Things we forget about children:

- the shout of an ‘ I love you “ is music to my ears
- they are my little shadows
- obeying is important to them
- thier minds are impressionable
- they have an endless supply of hugs and kisses
- they’ll do anything for a quarter
- they always look close enough, to find joy in anything
- forgiving comes easily
- unconditional love is a talent
- they are thier own little person
- the impossible is possible
- they can be anything, do anything
- they’re little for only a short while, I must enjoy this time, and take advantage of it, one day I will want it back
Just want to share some pictures of the greatest dad.



















4 comments:

Audrey Taylor said...

How SWEET! Not only were your gifts good, your poems and pictures were great, too. Man, I wish I was in YOUR family...Oh wait, I am!

Kristin said...

It was fun to catch up on your blog just now (got behind while on vacation.) I enjoyed your reflections and hearing about the awesome Father's Day surprise! Good one! I like the children's safe internet search feature, too.

Darrell and Alissa said...

I love when the surprises stay surprises- I can never surprise Darrell!

thecustercrew said...

Good Job on the suprise. It is always hard to pull off when the kids are involed.