Friday, June 27, 2008

Answer this question for me...

Is there a recipe that your whole family will eat without complaining?
It has to be something you have made!!! I could count pizza if this was not the case, but if I make homemade all I hear is about the things I put on it they don't like.
I am so frustrated. I was wondering if you who can answer "Yes," would be willing to share them. I would like to try them out on my family. There is nothing worse than cooking a whole meal just to have everyone spout out complaints they have against it!
I also would like some feed back on this recipe. It is the one that instigated this post. Cook it and tell me if your family loves it, or hates it. I got it out of my ward cookbook. Dustin, Grace, and Kate can't stand it. Ryan, Aaron, and I love it. Becca? She doesn't count, because she'll eat anything. Never a complaint from her! Let me know! I'm serious.
Sweet & Sour Meatballs
1 lb hamburger
3/4 c oatmeal
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 Tbsp dehydrated onion (or fresh, chopped 1/4 c)
1/2 c milk
1 tsp salt
pepper to taste
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Mix all ingredients together with hands. Form into 16-20 meatballs. Place in casserole dish. Cover with sauce. Bake at 350 for 30 min.
Sauce:
1/2 c brown sugar
1/4 c vinegar
1 tsp mustard
1/4 c BBQ sauce (I like honey)
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Combine ingredients in saucepan. Blend with whisk. Heat over medium-high. Pour over meat balls. (I like to double the sauce)
Serve over steamed rice.
There you have it! Try it, and be honest in your response.

8 comments:

Shauna said...

How funny Larae, when I first started reading this post, I thought of the Sweet and Sour Meatball recipe before I even saw that's the recipe you posted. My family loves this recipe(except Mikayla), even my extended family now loves this recipe. The BBQ sauce that I use is Tony Roma's Carolina Honey. I won't make it using any other kind of BBQ sauce.

Audrey Taylor said...

Your blog looks great! And perfectly appropriate for the upcoming holiday. Cooking... I cook dinner every day and I don't count on the kids eating theirs. Ben and I love what I make and the kids can go to bed hungry. But really, they get appetites around 3:30 or 4:00 so they eat a snack. That's probably why they don't eat dinner. What they do like though is rice. Every time I make a dish with rice, even if it's just steamed rice with butter, they eat it up.

i said...

Love the blog lift. CUTE! I have only 2 kids so my "they like it" ratio is pretty high. And if they don't... oh well, they will eat breakfast in the morning...and more for me! :) I let kids eat that don't complain.

Kristin said...

I have used that exact recipe for about 6 years, and we all LOVE it! I haven't ever fed it to anyone who didn't like it (that I know of.) I usually use KC Masterpiece BBQ Sauce, and it is REALLY good served over Basmati rice. I'm surprised half your family doesn't like it. I'll e-mail you some family favorite recipes (that we all like) in a few days. The kids at our house, especially Shayla, are always the pickiest. Dave and I like almost anything.

The Bach 10 said...

Well I have mostly little ones around now and a husband who is usually only home on Sunday. I let the kids decide what they want for dinner. It is so simple. I alway insist on 1 veg and 1 fruit. We had bagels with cream cheese, yogurt and applesauce the other night when Teralyn wanted to decide what to have. So easy and the kids actually ate it with out arguement. Complete success for us!

Jayleen said...

I'm sure I have the pickiest husband around...he doesn't like ANYTHING with vinegar, hates tomatoes and tomato sauce, mayo, mustard, cheese except cheddar and moozerella, the list goes on and on. I get so frustrated looking for new recipes and only finding 1 or 2 out of 100 that he "might" like. Good luck, I sure hope my kids don't turn out as picky as my husband.

Taryn said...

I love this recipe, it's one that I've made for people in the ward when I need to give them dinner. Maybe next time I'll think twice...maybe they don't like it :)
My family like's it too, but my kids aren't very picky and will eat just about anything. It's my husband that I worry about!

Darrell and Alissa said...

We have had that recipe before and only a few of my kids liked it- but Darrell loved it! The only thing I can think of that my whole family will eat REALLY well is the famous hamburger hotdog pizza- yes I do make that and feed it to my family! Darrell thought I was crazy- but it's one of his fav's now too!