Sunday, July 20, 2008

Dinosaurland Trip

We took a quick trip to Vernal, UT. It is the dinosaur capital of the world.
It supplies most dino museums with their large skeletons. We had a fun time. We stayed at a KOA . They had a lot of fun things to do to keep us busy. We enjoyed swimming, mini golf, and the fun little bikes they had.
We traveled to the quarry. There they have part of the mountain exposed in the building. You can see see the fossils in the rock. We were so bummed that it was closed for renovations, but you could hike and see them. We chose not to. It was quite a hike.
The next day we went to the field house. The kids had a lot of fun. Ryan really loved the Native American exhibits. They all loved the life size models. It was extremely interesting to learn about our earth.
We went back to the the camp ground and went swimming. There Dustin and I have decided to enroll our kids in swimming lessons. Ever since becoming a mom I worry. Because of this, I am scared to take the kids swimming. It was pretty sad to see my 10 year old not be able swim well, my eight year old wanting floaties, and if you watched the slide show, Grace all decked out in her floating devices. I have really done them an injustice. Live and learn, I guess.
We went golfing. The kids loved that too. Ryan had a bad experience. He thought Aaron and Grace were "experts" because of their holes-in-one. He tried and tried. It ended up with him getting upset and throwing his club. I made him put his stuff back. He was not happy with me. I had to explain that they were lucky. It had nothing to do with skill.
Later, we roasted marshmallows and made s'mores, a camping favorite. It was really hot, so we made root beer floats too. A nice combination.
On our way out, we went to hike and find some petroglyphs . It was amazing. We were so amazed by the landscape of Vernal. It seemed pre-historic! The Fremont Indians used to wander those lands. It was beautiful. We left Becca with Grandma and Grandpa below. We hiked up. Everyone loved their walking sticks. We found a whole wall full of drawings. It was really neat. It made up for not being able to see the fossils.

We were happy to spend time together. We really enjoy being able to pack up a motor home and travel. Gas is pricey, but it is worth the memories. I really recommend this for a quick trip!

3 comments:

i said...

What a fun trip! I can't believe your boy doen't like watermelon. Cool go cart things too!

Taryn said...

Cute Pics! I'm going to have to steal a few from you for my scrapbook. I'm not the best to remember my camera everywhere. So let's swap pics soon. That was such a fun trip and it was good to have the kids together and get to play with cousins!

The Bach 10 said...

awesome pictures. Glad you are having a good summer!!