Sunday, July 27, 2008

I've never considered myself an up-tight person, but..

the other day my friend Tami came by and asked if we wanted to go with her cute little family to the pet store. They had just gotten a cute little puppy and were going to buy some necessities for the cute guy. I couldn't believe how hard of a decision it was for me to make. I know my kids wanted to go, they were already putting their shoes on. I needed to shower, the kids had not had baths. The thought of going to the store stinky terrified me! She talked me into it though. Thanks Tami.



It took me awhile to get everyone ready. Tami waited patiently. We got to the store and the kids were so excited! My kids have wanted a dog for a long time. They took turns holding the little puppy. It was fun to see how happy the kids would get when they found something they thought he needed.


Tami is a mom of 7 children. I was in awe because I probably would have chosen to venture the store by myself. I wouldn't have wanted to risk a fight over collars, leashes, and toys. Not her. She had all of them, all the way from 11 years-3 mo. old! So there we were, 2 women, 12 kids, and a dog looking for the perfect accessories. Quite the sight to on lookers I'm sure. We made it to the check stand without any meltdowns. Her kids are well behaved, I wasn't too surprised. My little girls were happy that they might be able to get a fish. We're not ready for a dog yet!


I arrived home (Aaron sat down on the computer looking for dogs on KSL) and was never able to finish my list of things to do before Dustin and I went to the temple. It's okay though. I know the kids had a fun time, that's the important thing. I know I need to stop worrying about the things I need to get done and worry more about making their childhood memorable. They are only little for a while. I will be sad if all I raised were kids who worried about the house cleaning, running errands, and laundry. All that finds a way to get done. I think I need to be better at getting them involved in the daily chores. They each have 2 they have to do, but that isn't quite enough to help me out. Any suggestions to what you guys do?


Thanks Tami for helping me to see I need to work on being more flexible!

2 comments:

The Bach 10 said...

On the chores idea, we took time during a family home evening for the activity, and made a list of all the chores that need to be done. The kids helped say all the chores and Tayler wrote them all down. We added new chores I hadn't heard of. But of course that is something moms do. Moms do More chores without even knowing it. Then we let the kids raise their hands and choose the job to do. NOw it is all typed on a small chart and they get playtime and allowance for completing chores. We will adjust as needed, but overall chores is always in need of adjusting around here. Good luck! I think it lets the kids feel a part if they have more say in the situation. Plus homeschooling, i need them all to help even if it is not chores, but with schooling and other things.

I have learned that is healthy to just drop everything sometimes and have a little fun, regardless of how many looks I get. We are a large family with little ones and that is that. We are happy and if others have a hard time with taking that all in that is on them. I just focus on the fun we will have now because it wont be long and we will have teenagers and then they are off to college and missions we hope. I spend the last week of the month getting ready for the next month and then I don't worry about making more lists and decisions, just do what I already planned to do. I just blogged about that yesterday. Maybe it will give you some ideas. Thanks for being such a great friend and hanging out with us at the pet store. I had a great time with you!! Can Tiger stay at your house on August 22 when we go to the Ward Camp Out? Think about it, I know your boys would like it. IF not we may just take him with us.

i said...

When you have 7 kids...what's one more creature going to hurt huh?? Good luck enlisting the troops. It's hard for me to get my 4 yr old to even clean his room. It's hardly messy and he's been in there for over an hour.