Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Snow + Traffic, Snow + Dog = Depression!

I was woken early this morning by the sounds of little pitter patters on our window. I thought, "Oh it's raining. This is going to be a bad day. I can just feel it." And it wasn't just because I had aches and pains from the weather change,- gees I'm old- I wasn't looking forward to another day with the kids indoors.

I fell back asleep and woke up again because of the same noise. I was hoping that it would only last the early morning hours and move on, but it hadn't. Since I was awake, I decided to getup. I looked out the window and guess what I saw? SNOW!Yucky, blucky, mucky snow! I was instantly depressed.

"You better wake the kids early," I thought. I was going to be one of those prepared mothers.

This was my first time having the privilege of driving my kids to their far, far away school. I thought I should probably leave about 10 minutes early to allow time for the weather. The school was a normal 10-15 minute drive so that should be plenty of time.

The kids got up and ready without a hitch. They ate breakfast politely, brushed teeth quickly, and did everything they should have. We had prayer, gave hugs and kisses to Dustin, and were out the door by 7:40. Right on schedule! School starts at 8:20. We're going to make it.

Our neighborhood roads were a bit scary, but we made it to 6200 South, that's when my whole plan went out the window. "What!" That's all I could say without loosing my temper. The whole street was backed up. People were driving like they had never driven in the snow before. Did I mention this was my first snowy commute taking my children to their far, far away school?

We waited and waited in the horrible traffic. People were getting impatient. I was getting anxious. It was now 8:30 and we had quite a ways to go still. This stupid weather was ruining my good plan!

We finally made it to the school at 8:45. I had been on the road for over an hour! 1 hour to go about 7 miles!

I thought," Well at least I can't go anywhere, so my house will get cleaned."

I started in on the cleaning the moment we got home. The kids were playing nicely, everything was going smoothly. All I needed do was mop the floors. What a good plan. Then came those annoying, dreadful words you hate to hear, "Mom, can we play in the snow?" I sank further into my depression.

You always want to be the good mom, not the evil one,so you say,"Of course you can." I helped get the kids all ready, thinking it won't be too bad. I can still get the floors done. They will only make a little snowy mess. Did I mention this was my first experience having a dog go out in the snow? No, well, let's just say they make more of a mess than the kids.

Ace came running through the house covered in snow. It was all matted in his fur, so there was a lot more than there seemed. He was running like crazy to get it off. My floors were covered in little tiny, dog-sized snowballs. "There goes the floors, " I said.

I have given up today. It is only noon. I have 12 more hours to go. Can this day get any longer? I better watch what I say because apparently it can.

I need some chocolate! Why'd I throw out the Halloween candy to be good? What a day.

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

Okay...new school for the kids, new dog? Have I really been gone that long? Or maybe I should blog more often so I know what's going on with everyone. By-the-way, I think that your family pictures are darling!

The Bach 10 said...

I had the some of the same things happen to me. I guess I should post about it then you can get a good laugh!

The Bach 10 said...

WOW you had a worse day then i had! this is Tayler by the way :) i was just reading your blog and i thought i would sit down and read what you have written, we have some of thouse days in our house and it's hard, are dog (monster) he came in the door today and had all theses mini snowballs on his chest and all over it was so funny!!! we took a picture and i'll post it and my mom will. i hope you don't have that day again!

~Tayler Bach

Taryn said...

oh Larae you crack me up! SOme days I feel EXACTLY like this! Think you're on a roll and the house is looking great and then all heck breaks loose and it looks like we didn't even lift a finger. Sometimes I swear Adam comes home and thinks....you cleaned today?!?!!?

Audrey Taylor said...

ou are one of the most beautiful, righteous, and interesting of persons to read about! you had me laughing the whole way through (sorry) let me tell you what i appreciated: that you wanted to be prepared this morning. it wa a good thing you got up and got the kids up early, that's why the getting-ready part of the dayy went so well. when you said :"what!" to lose your temper...i wish i could be more like that. that you LET the kids and dog play in the snow to be nice ( i crawl around on all fours just to play dogs with Rachel and I do not love doing it 'on tile floors'" That you threw away the chocolate and then needed it, i cant stop laughing about that one!

thecustercrew said...

Things like this definately remind me I don't miss the snow. We have at least 340 days of sunshine here. We have plenty of snow in the mountains if we feel the itch. Although I do love watching the snow fall. It is so peaceful.

p.s. Did you make fudge and popcorn :)

Kristin said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope today is MUCH better than this one was for you. The only thing I love about the snow is looking at it. I can do without driving in it, cleaning up after it, and the fact that it's cold. So, I feel for you! Why don't you move to Houston!!?? It doesn't snow here! I'd LOVE to have you for a neighbor again. Maybe you could buy the house behind us. ;) The last thing you need after a morning like that is the disappearance of your chocolate stash! I hope you get a great, big slice of chocolate birthday cake today! You deserve it, esp. for giving up all that Halloween candy. :)

i said...

whew... thank goodness for blog vents so we all feel normal! hope today is a good one!