Thursday, November 20, 2008

What Is Required to Succeed at Parenthood?

I know there are many answers to this question. The possibilities are endless. There are many events in life, where at the end of it, you have that I can do anything feeling, especially in being a parent!

Last night I was woken up by faint cries and moans. They were coming from Kate's room. I walked in there and she said, "Mom, my belly hurts." We have been suffering from a mild case of the flu due to my lack of preparedness and I forgot to have all kids get their flu shots.

"Here we go, " I thought. I ran and got her a "puke bucket," a.k.a any Tupperware bowl. I gave it to her and let her know it was there. I settled back into bed and fell asleep.

A half hour later I heard her little body wrenching and heaving. Poor thing! This continued for about three hours. She kept rotating between the toilet and her bucket. The last time she groaned, "Mom, I don't like this." I felt bad for her. She has never been sick like that. Throwing up and diarrhea were all new to her.

Why do I share this? Because at her last trip to the bathroom I demonstrated some very awesome skills. She was sitting on the toilet doing her "doodie" and she said, "Mom, I need to throw up." I saw her mouth open and she started the little body jerking. I QUICKLY, and I'm talking lightening speed, turned her around and we made it into the toilet rather all over the bathroom floor!

After she was cleaned and put back to bed, I had time to think.

"I am a true mother," I chuckled to myself. "I'm pretty amazing."


That is sweet success!

11 comments:

Salena said...

You ARE an amazing Mom. I have enjoyed reading you blog and gaining wisdom from you realness and spiritual enlightenments. Keep up the good work, your kids are beautiful inside and out.

On another note, is your son’s eye surgery still taking? Or have you noticed any digression? From what I understand from this doc is that because the eye does not have consistent messages and not work at focusing because the good eye was making up for it, that the surgery might not take and the mussels would lazy up again. It’s all a waiting game I guess. :)

Lots of love!
Salena

Brittany Marie said...

A Barf Bucket! That's what I need!

No seriously though, you're a really good mom. Especially to Dustin. Just kidding. :p

Taryn said...

Oh poor little Kate! I think that the stomach flu has got to be THE WORST way to be sick. And even though I hate it so much I wish that when my kids get sick like that I could take it away for them!

Darrell and Alissa said...

That is great skill! Stomach flu is yucky- it's so hard on their bodies!

Darrell and Alissa said...

That is great skill! Stomach flu is yucky- it's so hard on their bodies!

Natalie said...

Get better soon Kate! We hate to think of that cute litle lady feeling bad!

Kristin said...

That is a skill EVERY mother needs! You've got other important and impressive mothering skills, too! The best thing about that one is that it blesses you and the child! (I hate cleaning up puke.)

thecustercrew said...

You have to love moments like that. It is nice to escape as much mess as we can.

I hope Kate gets better

ps: don't feel bad about not getting the flu shot. It is for the cold/cough type flu, not the stomach flu. So you kids probably would have gotten sick anyway.

The Bach 10 said...

You are even more amazing for posting how you feel! Thanks for the story. All mom's should feel amazing especially after experiences like this one!!

Audrey Taylor said...

The best part of that experience is that you went through it and felt "pretty amazing" afterwards. Good job Larae. I want to be a good mom like you!

i said...

what stunning skillz you have! you deserve a metal!