Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Grievances of a Despondant Originator

Did you need a thesaurus to know what I was talking about in the title? Why such the use of big words? Well, I'll tell you. Apparently, I should talk like this all the time. My cute little 1st grader, Grace, is expected to at her age. So I assume, I should as well (I'm being sarcastic if you didn't catch the tone in my voice).

I am so frustrated and angry at what my daughter is supposed to know in her class. I understand that she is in an advanced class, but come on. Her new vocabulary words are: cork, reed, scandalous, commission, and dreadful. The list would not be so bad if the they didn't have to memorize the definition. Commission- the authority granted to an individual to act as an agent for another. Say what? You wouldn't think cork would be bad right? Cork- the outside of an oak tree used to make bottle stoppers. Why can't we just say, a wooden lid for a bottle? We are talking FIRST grade here. They need to understand the definition.

Is it just me? Does anybody else think this is ludicrous? Her and I talked it over and she would like very much to return to her old school. I feel bad, but it sure relieves a lot of stress!

4 comments:

Rach said...

I'm sorry to hear things aren't going as hoped with Westland. Will you be heading back to her old school?

Spaces for Faces said...

Seems a little over the top to me, even for ALPS. Aren't they supposed to engender the love of learning as well as knowledge? Good luck with whatever you decide.

Brittany Marie said...

Commission? Scandelous? Dreadful?

Next they'll be handing out tiny little monocles for each of them.

thecustercrew said...

That is so crazy. Sometimes I think the reason kids are not as smart these days is because everyone feels the need to stray from the basics. What happened to basic math. My son is struggling in math, not because he gets the problems wrong. Only because he can't write in word form how he decided to solve the problem. I thought that was writing. The writing problem is worth 4 pts and the math problems only 3 of them are worth one pt each. Seems a bit backwards to me. I guess I;m just old.