Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Oquirrh Mountain Temple Open House

On Saturday, July 11th we took the kids to the Oquirrh Mountain Temple Open House. To prepare them we had a family home evening lesson to remind them how sacred and special the Temple is. We talked about being reverent and respectful and about the work we do there. We told them that we make promises to live a better life and we also do work for those who have died before their work was done. I was really excited to take them. I wanted it to be a neat experience for them.

We dressed in our Sunday best. The girls were mad I curled their hair. The boys were a little upset that they had to wear a tie. I wanted it to be a BIG deal for them. I wanted them to understand this was a special event, a privilege, to go into the House of the Lord. They looked smashing!! Everyone complimented the girls on their dresses.

When we got there they first have you watch a movie that explains about the Temple. I was worried the kids would be bored, but all of them paid attention. It was only 12 minutes! When they showed a picture of the inside of the Temple, they quickly opend their brochures to see if it was in there. If it was, they read the little caption under the picture.

Everybody walked from the white movie tents to the Temple a few hundred yards away. We walked into the waiting room and for the first time in history, absolute silence from the Merritt Clan! They knew this place was special! The silence was broken when Grace saw the chandelier hanging in the area after the recommend desk. "Mom, that's so pretty! It looks like diamonds!" The chandeliers in this Temple are BEAUTIFUL! (To view pictures of the inside of the Temple click here.)

We continued on through the building, everybody amazed by the beauty. Becca and Kate were counting all the pictures of Jesus they could see. There were a lot. I think they stopped at 23. That was only floors 1 and 2. The Celestial room was one of every one's favorite rooms. The boys really like the baptismal font though.

We came out and of course we Mormons believe in refreshments. We all enjoyed a cookie and a bottled water. We like watching the piano play all by itself.

When we loaded into the car, I asked the kids what their favorite part was. Right away Becca said, "The jewelry!" I was little confused, but then realized she was talking about the chandeliers. The boys answered the font after making cookies and water their first favorite. Grace and Kate liked the celestial room. I loved all of it!

I asked them, "Do you think the Temple is a worthy goal?" They all agreed that they would like to return to the Temple. I couldn't have been happier!






No, we don't have 6 kids. Our cousin, Logan, is spending the week with us.

6 comments:

Taryn said...

Wow what a neat experience and beautiful family pictures! You always have a way of making things so special for your family!

Spaces for Faces said...

Very Cool! Especially love that last pic!

Brittany Marie said...

I love the last picture too!

When I was ushering on Friday, a little girl got into the elevator with me and told me "I like the Diamond Room the best!" I assume she meant the Celestial Room. :p

Jayleen said...

I love your pictures. What a nice experience with your family. We went in the beginning of June, and I'm feeling guilty that I never posted about it, or posted my pictures...guess I should get with the program!

Kristin said...

Awesome pictures! Such a neat experience for your family.

thecustercrew said...

What a neat experience. I am so glad Logan was able to go with you to see the temple. Thanks so much for letting him come and visit. I hope he is behaving:)