Friday, October 16, 2009

Little Steps at a Time

I've been wanting to get caught up on my strides toward a life without fear. However, time is so limited lately, and interruptions are unending. It doesn't quite cooperate with me.

When I decided to take the steps of changing what needs to be changed and becoming who I wanted to be, I recognized that it wouldn't happen over night. I first had to admit to myself and identify my weaknesses. And, of course, I chose to start with those simple daily annoyances, like fruit. I don't know why I chose that first. Maybe the teasing and strange looks I always got when someone found out about my dislike for it? Maybe something deeper.

I, like maybe some of you, have a tendency to let others "take the wheel." I'm pretty laid back and easy going. Happy just to be on this journey, enjoying the scenery, content watching others take opportunities to better themselves. Well, for the first time in EVER, I want to drive!

Fruit is just the tip of the iceberg!

The next thing on my list was to not be scared of creatures. The only animal I'll touch is a dog. Everything else freaks me out.

I wake up every morning at 6 to exercise with my friend. In the summer it was light. All the little worms, bugs, and their kind would be starting their routine as well. I would walk pass the same snail every morning. I could see him before I reached him, so I would make room and hurry by him. We would run/walk for about 40 min. On the way home, I would find this snail still making his way to the grass. They really are slow!

One morning I decided today would be the day I touched him. I reached down and touched his little shell and said, "Good morning, Sir Snail." And ran to meet my partner. On the way back I saw him and said, "You're almost there." I sat and watched him for a moment. Realizing it might be a little strange to see a grown woman watch a snail, I ran inside and grabbed my kids. We had never stopped to watch a snail before. They were still in their PJs, but came out anyway. We watched him for about 20 minutes. He finally made it to the grass.

As we all walked back to the house, a feeling of gratitude swept over me. I was grateful for taking the time to greet one of God's creatures and see it as He would. I was happy to take the extra time and enjoy him with my kids. We were cheering him on and were happy he made it to the grass before it got too hot. I realized critters aren't so bad.

Now I just need to work up to things of a bigger nature!





Of course we took pictures!

2 comments:

ChicChat said...

You're so awesome! I think you're perfect just the way you are. If it weren't for the little quirks about you, you may just be too perfect. ;)Love ya!

Mhari said...

You totally crack me up Larae! I am glad you are moving beyond your fears. Baby steps are how it works so keep it up. :-) You have 5 kids so nothing should scare you anymore. I'm totally terrified of kids but I'll eat the heck out of some fruit. Lol.