Monday, October 5, 2009

Thoughts on Fear, Change, and New Adventures

Lately, my brain has been swirling around a few things. One has been fear.

I've been thinking of the consequences in allowing our fears to hold us back from the one thing we need the most to become better: CHANGE. This part of life is where I feel we learn the most and stretch ourselves to become better. I believe change, if good, is always beneficial.

I have been focusing on one little thing at a time, changing something in my life that needs changing. The first item on my checklist you might find a little bizarre. FRUIT. I have decided to overcome my fear of fruit. Ever since I was a little girl I have had this strange dislike for the food that comes from trees. I'm not fond of their textures and to be honest many of the flavors.

I started this in the summer. It started with one little grape. Dustin inspected it to make sure it would be a good one. I had a small gathering to witness this event in my life. My friends Camille and Maria were there, along with my husband and children. I popped the purple thing in my mouth. I squeezed it between my teeth and felt a little pop, then juice. I had a hard time getting it down. I guess it showed on my face because everybody was laughing. I got it down though!

Verdict? I am not a fan of the grape. In my opinion it tastes nothing like a grape sucker. If I want to enjoy something grape, it will be a glass of Kool-aid, grape soda, or a grape dum-dum. I will not be picking the actual fruit.



*Here is the little grape I ate. We took pictures of this occasion.

I wanted to start a new blog that follows my adventures in change, but time right now does not allow that. So, I will just try to update you on those things I have been able to accomplish. Since deciding this in June, I have eaten pineapple and apples. They are not too bad. I liked the pineapple most. If I ever ended up stranded on a deserted island and it was abundant in pineapples, I"m happy to say that I would not die of starvation. Unfortunately, I can't say the same about grapes.

I'm excited to start this new adventure in my life. I want to be able to say that I always tried my best and didn't let fear hold me back from trying anything. I want to set a good example for my kids too. Fear can be paralyzing and I don't want to live life like that.

4 comments:

BrieAnn said...

I love this...I often tell myself I have not been given a spirit of fear. I'm trying to be less fearful myself. I'm so excited to follow your fruit adventure. A recommendation: mango. The texture is awesome, just make sure you get a really ripe one (or have someone make sure for you). Way to go!

Taryn said...

Way to go Larae! I remember watching you eat that apple the other day. So proud of you! It's so great that you are "branching" out and trying new things!!


One of my food fears has always been seafood. I can't stand the smell and since I didn't grow up eating it, it's just been something that grosses me out. Not to mention that it is usually in it's "original package" (shrimp, lobsters, crab etc) I too made a milestone, I ate crab dip that someone had made at a party (using real crab) and didn't even know it. I was on my loving it and on my3rd helping when Adam asked me if I knew what I was eating. Live and learn I guess.

Darrell and Alissa said...

WOW! You ate a grape, apple and pineapple?! Out of those I would say pineapple is my favorite too. I am not a big fruit person, the ones I'll eat are fresh pinapple- sooo good! I love cantalope, watermelon, and I have just started liking strawberries. Um, mango's made me gag from the texture- just to warn you. No offense BriaAnne! I'm with Taryn on the seafood. I gag watching Darrell eat it. He talked Lexi into shrimp and I had to remind myself to let her eat it. She likes it- GROSS! I will say i can eat ANY fruit with dip- kinda takes the healthy part away- but it can slowly break you into the tastes. Carmel toffee dip with apples, yougurt and cool whip- YUM!

Audrey Taylor said...

You are so good. I love how you are constantly trying to better yourself in some small way. No small effort though!