Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Law of St Patrick's Day

This morning all my kids woke up early to put on the color green. They, like most of us today, were excited for St. Patrick's Day. They also didn't want to chance getting pinched by anyone.

Does anyone know why we celebrate this holiday? According to Veggie Tales we celebrate it because a homeless orphan discovered the value of Christianity in his life and then spent the rest of his life sharing his religion with others, especially those of Ireland. The three leaf clover became a symbol because he taught the Pagans it represented God, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit. Where did all the other stuff come from? Rainbows, leprechauns, pots of gold? And what is the fourth leaf on the clover represent? I don't know. (this paragraph has no point, just a history lesson)

I thought it was funny that Kate came to me after she was dressed and asked in a sad voice, "Mom, I won't go to jail because I'm breaking the law?"

"What law?" I wondered.

"I'm not wearing green today." I noticed that she was not wearing green. I really wasn't surprised. This is my girl who finds joy in being different and every now and then breaking the "law" - which is code for rules. She always makes you aware of the fact that she is doing it too.

"No, Kate. You will not go to jail today because you are not wearing green. Mom might not wear green today either." I planned on it, but now I won't. Us law breakers have to stick together.

PS This is a strange holiday!

1 comments:

Audrey Taylor said...

It seems like it's been so long since the holidays, I was actually happy to celebrate something.
I feel like it brings society together because it is a commonality. You don't have to be like those around you in any way, but you're all celebrating. Happy Day!