Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Holy Ghost and Who I Have Always Been

One of the greatest challenges in this life is discovering who we are. How is this done? How do I learn about myself and my purpose on this earth?

I have been trying to focus on this more lately. I want to feel I have a purpose for being here. I think I would be a lot more productive.

A quote by Sheri Dew: (of course it is from, No Doubt About It)

"...how eager the Lord is to unveil the knowledge stored safely inside our spirits about who we are and what our mission is.

...It is the Spirit who reveals to us our identity-which isn't just who we are, but who we have always been. And when we know, our lives take on a purpose so stunning that we are changed forever."

I want a stunning purpose, I want to be changed forever. I'm so jealous right now of those who know about themselves!

I know that I have deep within me, SOMEWHERE, special talents to fulfill my purpose. The problem? I'm not quite sure of what they are. How grateful I am that I have been given the gift of the Holy Ghost. Because of him, I can know!! I just have to be willing to be tuned in to listen! (why is that the hard part?)

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Hi Sister Merritt! I read your blog here and there, but this post really connected with me and made me want to tell you about the experience I had because of Sheri Dew's book and that specific quote. I've actually been thinking about that book all week, because we have to speak in our ward this Sunday and I was thinking about the importance of knowing who you are and what your mission in life is!
I've been struggling to come up with my topic (my bishop left it up to us), and I think your blog post was another confirmation from the Holy Ghost to talk about what I had been thinking about!

I read No Doubt About It for the first time on a plane ride back to Utah when I was 20. I was thinking deeply, and I came across that quote and the Holy Ghost confirmed to me that my mission in life is to be the best mother I can be. However, I think with life moving forward I kind of forgot about it until recently.

When I had that last miscarriage, I almost died. I wasn't sad that I had lost the baby; I knew I would get pregnant again. However, I didn't realize the whole almost dying ordeal would affect me the way that it did. The horrific experience would often keep me up at night. I finally prayed about it and asked, "Why didn't I die? Why did you let me live, when so many others die?" The answer was the same as it was back on that plane, before I was ever married and ever had children: I didn't die because I need to be a mother not only to my son, but to my future children as well. I think it is amazing that after so many years since I had that first experience, the Spirit gave me the exact same answer once again. I love how the Lord is so willing to let us know what it is we are supposed to do and to help us never forget it.



Thank you for this post! And thank you for being such a great example to me.

-Rachel Capener

Larae Taylor Merritt said...

Rachel,

I'm so glad you shared your feelings! I am sorry that you had to go through such an experience, but I know that we have experiences like that to make us better.

I know one of my "stunning" purposes is to be a mother. I feel Satan always tries to diminish that role in my mind. I am thankful for the children I have been given and for the opportunity to raise them!

I guess sometimes I feel I'm not living up to my potential as a mother and I feel like I'm missing a great part of who I am.

I'm glad you read my blog! I will venture over to yours! :)