Friday, September 24, 2010

If We Had Built the Mayflower...

we would have never made it to Plymouth Rock. I'm pretty sure we would have died on our journey. Cause of death: drowning.

Aaron ran down the stairs to me and said," Mom, we forgot about my project!" I paused for a moment thinking of what project I was in charge of. Am I all of a sudden in the 5th grade? Did I have a project due that I forgot about? Nope.
I replied," What's this we stuff, Aaron? I didn't have a project." He cocked his head to the side and gave a little smile. Thinking I wasn't serious. I know why.

You see, in the past when one of my kids comes running to me in a hurry fretting about a project forgotten, I have always helped them. They do all they can until bedtime. Always, ALWAYS, I am left finishing it until the wee hours of morning. Bad habit, I know. So, this is why my son thought I was kidding, but I wasn't. I was tired, tired of their waiting til the last minute, tired of them telling me no when asked if they have any homework. Last I checked a project was homework.

"Aaron, you better get started," was all I said. He looked a little puzzled.

"But what do I make it out of?" he asked.

I shrugged my shoulders. "I don't know. What do you want to make it out of?" He thought for a long while and went and found a box.

"What do I use to cover it?" he asked.

I replied," I don't know. What do you want to cover it with?" He was getting the idea that I wasn't going to help. He pulled out black construction paper.

The mom in me couldn't resist saying," I don't think the Mayflower was black." I suggested he make it look like wood. He found some Popsicle sticks from the craft basket and got to work. By 10:00 pm, way past bedtime he showed me this:





Not bad. I must say ship building is not in the genes. But he made it. All by himself. Learned a valuable lesson, I hope. And I stayed up late by choice.

It did make me wonder though. I wondered how long it took the pilgrims to build this ship and prepare for their voyage. Or did they wait til the last minute and ask their mothers to build it for them?

2 comments:

Maggie & Nate said...

glad you didn't give in...:0~
the mayflower looks super!

thecustercrew said...

Nice job in holding out. He did a great job. Sometimes I think they just don't realize they can do it on their own because we are so prone to help them.