Sunday, February 13, 2011

Where's the Fun?

A few days ago I was in the bathroom doing Kate's hair. Ya know, some of our best conversations have been in the bathroom with a flat iron in hand. What is it about the bathroom? Maybe the one-on-one attention? I don't know. Anyway, Kate was wondering who was funny in our house. The conversation went something like this:

Kate: Mom, who's the funniest person in our family?
Me: Dad.
Kate: Oh. Who's the second funniest person?
Me: I am.
Kate: (said with all seriousness a six year-old could muster) Mom, how are you funny?

Now on the outside I was laughing...hysterically. But on the inside, that's another story. How could this cute little thing not know how funny I am? I would consider myself a fun person with a pretty good personality. Does she not ever notice?..

or could it, maybe, be that I don't show it much? I started thinking about the morning.

Mom yelling about someone leaving the milk out.
Mom yelling about the mess left on the counter.
Mom yelling about the chores that were not done, so why on earth is anyone playing on the PS3?!!

Mom yelling, yelling, yelling....

Huh? I guess I'm not very fun anymore. I'm quite different than the mom I planned on being. Too much yelling. Not enough fun. Time to change it. But how? Can't be running around making fun while everything goes undone and kids don't learn to be responsible. Any ideas? Please share and help put the fun back into this household.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it must be Taylor thing... We're always saying how Dad is the one that makes us clean, and mom is the fun one. :)
Don't worry, Larae, it gets better. Being on my own I've realized that my mom is my best friend. She is always there when I need a shoulder to cry on, she knows exactly what to say to make me come to my senses, she is VERY funny (in her own kind of way). Don't give up yet!

Larae Taylor Merritt said...

thanks, syd. I hope my kids will love and appreciate all I have done for them. eventually...:)