Friday, May 2, 2008

Women's Conference 2008

I was able to go to my first Women's Conference this year! Boy, was it fun! I went all by myself, so next year if any of you are up for joining me, let me know. I was only able to go on Thursday. As I was driving there and sitting in the massive amount of traffic headed in the same direction, I was overwhelmed by all these good women who were putting life on hold and running (okay driving) to where they could be uplifted and inspired. I felt that it was some type of prophecy being fulfilled. Is that weird? Anyway, I was grateful to be a part of it.

Sheri Dew opened the conference. Her talk was awesome, it was my favorite. She talked of how we as women need to stand up and be counted. We are a strong force. She related examples how women of the world are standing up, but for the wrong things. Her point she wanted to make was this, "We must walk away from the world, and come unto Christ." Her whole talk was how we do this. It was great.

Another class I attended was "Loving the Praise of God More Than the Praise of Men." The speakers shared life experiences. One lady was a young mother of 7 Children. Her fourth pregnancy she had triplets! She shared how it was a hard time for her, but with the Lord's help she was able to simplify her life. She talked of the 2 components that make up our journey here on Earth, "our path" and "our pack." It was so good. She explained how Satan knows we women are too smart to fall for the big sins. He tricks us into putting too many good things into our packs, that the crucial ones get taken out(i.e. FHE, scripture study, prayer). She let us know that we each have a path we are to take here on this Earth designed just for us. "Motherhood," she said, "is not my path, it's part of my pack. Even though it consumes me at this stage in my life, it is a choice I made to be a mom." Examples of things we find in our pack, choices we make and consequences from them, gifts, talents, a few others but I can't find my note pad. I left that class feeling uplifted and wanting to simplify my life.

In the evening they had service projects we did for the Humanitarian Center. I was able to sit and chat with women from here and California. We were one of the lucky tables that got really good tickets to the concert afterwards. At 8:00 they put on a concert of well known LDS artists. It was so fun. I was in the 8th row. Two of my favorites performed, Hilary Weeks and Michael McLean. All were really good though.

Well, just wanted to share what I learned and did. Hopefully next year someone will join me. Tell your husbands you need a break. Everybody deserves to treat themselves!

6 comments:

i said...

Just one of the reason's it's nice to live in UT! I bet you had a wonderful time. Lucky thing they record. I definitely want to come and go with you some time!

Darrell and Alissa said...

I'm glad you got to go- you deserve it! I would love to go- to bad I don't live closer- talk all those sisters and sister- in- law's into going

Audrey Taylor said...

Okay, let's give our husbands a heads up that we want to go. Julie wants to go, I want to go. That would be so much fun to go as sisters and friends without our kids (just because they take primary focus and put us in our mother roles.) I've been having a really hard time. I think I'm actually depressed. So this would be a great time to take advantage of the quote on Julie's blog about our husbands stepping in and letting us go out for a day (or a weekend)!

Kristin said...

That's awesome that you got to go to Women's Conf! I'm glad you had such a good time. It sounds like you left feeling rejuvenated. We ALL need that from time to time. Tara Smith was here over the weekend, and I checked your blog really quick while she was here. We both got a HUGE kick out of Dustin tying the boys together!

Rach said...

Sign me up! I would love to go with you next year (especially because I won't have a baby I can't leave for more than three hours!!) We ought to have a Prairie 4th Ward Reunion and all of us go together!

thecustercrew said...

Hey I'm all for the sisters going to women's conference. I could use a little break. Alissa you'll just have to request some time off from that boss of yours. I'm sure you can think of something to do that will be worth him forking up the money for the flight and taking care of the kids for a few days. Come on, be creative. Ha Ha!!