Tuesday, December 2, 2008

What I'm Working On

I was having a terrible morning yesterday. The kids were not listening, or paying any attention to getting ready. We have been doing this for how many years? You would think they knew the routine and would just do what needed to be done! Needless to say, I had to get after them. I thought I handled it pretty well.

We ran out the door. Dustin slept in so I wasn't able to see him. I called him when I got home. I told him that I loved him and sorry I wasn't able to give him a kiss good-bye. He said, "Rough morning, huh?"

I said, "Yeah!" I went on to grumble about the kids.

He interrupted and said, "You know, you need to be a little nicer. You get all bent out of shape. Nobody wants to do anything for anyone when they are not being nice." I was a little taken back. I was ready to lay into him. It was the pot calling the kettle black, I thought. I bit my tongue. He was right.

I just quietly replied, " You're right. I know. I'll work on it."

So I'm needing some pointers of how to contain my composure as my children willingly disobey, ignore, and tune me out. Any suggestions.? I need some lessons on being kind.

I find this post ironic to my last post!

5 comments:

i said...

whew... i just hate it when reality slaps me! good luck....i need it too!

jilliebean said...

I'm reading a book called The Parenting Breakthrough by Merrilee Boyack. It may not help the 'kinder' issue, but I think it is an awesome help for this parenting journey we are on!

Taryn said...

I am by no means one to give advice about yelling, however lately for my two kids if I whisper at the times when I want to scream they seem to respond better. Don't ask me how long it'll last but for now I'm getting the response that I want.

Audrey Taylor said...

Your blog is gorgeous, the picture at the top, the music , and the background.
That is just how parenting goes. My personal journal entries go back and forth like this post and the last one.
As I was reading your "thought" on the sidebar, I thought it described Larae Merritt.

Kristin said...

I think it takes practice. I recommended a CD in my "Recipe for Disaster" post in Oct. That CD has SO many suggestions for handling moments like those. It takes practice, though, to handle moments like that w/grace and kindness. And, some days (esp. during PMS), it is so hard. My suggestion is to spend $12 (free shipping even!) and get that CD (www.bluerosecommunications.com--the CD is "Moments: Surrendering to Joy"). It is so good--I think you'll love it. Good luck! I know how you feel--I need to be nicer, too! It's always humbling when my husband or kids points out the fact. But, like you, I'm always grateful they do.