Monday, August 15, 2011

What Becca, Kate, and One Fried Egg Taught Me

My scheduled post for my kids was going to be on modesty, but the timing just is not right. Instead I decided to write about something a little more important.

Yesterday morning, one bright Sunday, I was in the front room reading the Ensign. I had made the kids breakfast. They all got what they wanted. The boys wanted cereal, Grace and Kate wanted a sausage sandwich, and Becca wanted to try a fried egg. They were all eating happily so I figured I'd do some reading before the rat race of Sunday began.


I must give you a little background before I continue. Kate has a fried egg almost every morning. They are one of her favorites, especially the runny yoke. Becca has always been a little stand-offish, so she is being brave to try something new.

I'm on the couch and I hear these two girls start fighting. Becca is screaming, " I can do it! Give it back!"

"You're doing it wrong! That's not how you cut it!" Kate yells.

This fight continues for about a minute. If you're wondering if I intervened, I didn't. You might think I'm lazy, but I believe in letting my kids work out their own solutions, as long as no one is injuring the other. Finally Becca breaks the plate free from her sisters grasp.

"I don't care how I do it. It's just how I roll, Kate." She continues cutting her egg her way. Kate couldn't argue with that because it was the truth. After I got my laugh because she just said, "that's how I roll", a light bulb went off in my head. And I started thinking.

A few days before, someone was trying to tell me the same thing. It had nothing to do with a fried egg, but the concept was the same. I was trying to tell her what I felt was the right way to do something, not very nicely I'm ashamed to admit, but with good intention. Just like Kate.

I remembered something I had always been taught and thought I lived: We may feel our way is best, but the truth is there is more than one one way to do something. The only thing that matters is the goal is reached and is successful.

When it comes to Gospel living we will not all live it the same. What's important to me, may not be as important to another. The reason being we are different people. Our spirits are different, our upbringings are different, where we live is different. She was trying to tell me this, but I wasn't listening and wasn't understanding.

I'm grateful for a Heavenly Father who knows how reach me. He knows he can get me to see things through my children and through music. I'm grateful for my kids. They are true teachers. Because of them, I'm remembering to only concern myself with the way I cut my egg. Because that's the way I [should] roll.


2 comments:

Jennae said...

I love your posts...they are so inspiring! Thanks for sharing your "aha" moments with us!

Kristin said...

Thanks for sharing--this was a great reminder for me. I'm playing blog catch-up right now--can you tell? :)